• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overland 5-ton camper with a 20' container (now 40' !)

Nomadic

Nifty. Imagine coming across that on BLM land. I'm not sure where I will put the 6 Ninjas after it's all setup though.

jcdostie

As I’m still stuck with new Government rules for MV on highways, I worked out some more ideas

I will go with a 40’ High Cube container insulated by the outside with https://www.insofast.com/insulation-panels-for-shipping-containers.html

I’m not sure what kind of siding for outside, probably aluminum. Not decided yet

Here’s a sketch. I’m working on a 3D design made from drone photogrammetry. But I’m having some hard time

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlesmann

i know it may sound strange, but what a refer box/trailer. it is already insulated, and can get a 20' box tck type, but since you are now talking 40', there are those in trailer form. yes, it limits the inside width by 4.5", but you won't have to worry bout temp changes. i know, well, know through a forestry forum, that use these as kilns for drying wood, and those temps get in to the 120-140 degree temp range and take quite a while to bring down in temp. you wouldn't have the bed over the cab, unless you do some modifying, but not saying it can't be done. iv seen them go for around 3-5k range.

jcdostie

i know it may sound strange, but what a refer box/trailer. it is already insulated, and can get a 20' box tck type, but since you are now talking 40', there are those in trailer form. yes, it limits the inside width by 4.5", but you won't have to worry bout temp changes. i know, well, know through a forestry forum, that use these as kilns for drying wood, and those temps get in to the 120-140 degree temp range and take quite a while to bring down in temp. you wouldn't have the bed over the cab, unless you do some modifying, but not saying it can't be done. iv seen them go for around 3-5k range.
I changed to 40’ container now. I have to do modifications in order to have a king size bed on top of the cab.

Still waiting for Government to change their rules

JC

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the build . I spent the last half of 2019 cutting a 20 ft container up to fit on a 1083 and its been a lot of work and 50 pounds of welding rods you should really think about dropping that height down as much as you can. If your not to far along on this build just go barrow /rent a 20 ft container and chain it down on your frame and try to get off the pavement in some really mild offroad conditions you will really see what the problem with the top heavy feeling of the truck it doesnt take but one little left right left on just a slight slope and it feels like its going over. I cut the bottom 1 foot off of the container and got my height down to 12 ft high and keeping all the heavy stuff centered on the center of the frame like water tanks and holding tanks house batteries ect. Then you dovetail the back end and cut your rear doors down to what ever suits you so u dont get hung on steep inclines and build you a seperate trailer garage like a 1082 so you can actually go off road and come home in one piece

jcdostie

Good luck with the build . I spent the last half of 2019 cutting a 20 ft container up to fit on a 1083 and its been a lot of work and 50 pounds of welding rods you should really think about dropping that height down as much as you can. If your not to far along on this build just go barrow /rent a 20 ft container and chain it down on your frame and try to get off the pavement in some really mild offroad conditions you will really see what the problem with the top heavy feeling of the truck it doesnt take but one little left right left on just a slight slope and it feels like its going over. I cut the bottom 1 foot off of the container and got my height down to 12 ft high and keeping all the heavy stuff centered on the center of the frame like water tanks and holding tanks house batteries ect. Then you dovetail the back end and cut your rear doors down to what ever suits you so u dont get hung on steep inclines and build you a seperate trailer garage like a 1082 so you can actually go off road and come home in one piece
Interesting. Tks for the advice. I will have a center of gravity calculated.
Any pictures of your setup ?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to consider a shorter length because you are going to have a lot of frame twisting off road. Also, heavy and high is a problem you can't easily fix after you build it. If you seriously want to build something you can use for off road camping it needs to be short and lite. The truck in your picture above is easily going to top 30K lbs with nothing inside. Once you add the creature comforts and all the stuff you need to take on a trip it will go up fast.

Your build idea will be fine on the road and at campgrounds or flat hard BLM lands. That's about it, you are not going to have a lot of HP to move a heavy vehicle around in poor off road conditions.

jcdostie

If your not to far along on this build just go barrow /rent a 20 ft container and chain it down on your frame and try to get off the pavement in some really mild offroad conditions you will really see what the problem with the top heavy feeling of the truck it doesnt take but one little left right left on just a slight slope and it feels like its going over. I cut the bottom 1 foot off of the container and got my height down to 12 ft high and keeping all the heavy stuff centered on the center of the frame like water tanks and holding tanks house batteries ect. Then you dovetail the back end and cut your rear doors down to what ever suits you so u dont get hung on steep inclines and build you a seperate trailer garage like a 1082 so you can actually go off road and come home in one piece
Hi Chucky,
Check that truck with a 40' modified container.

JC

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally wouldnt have cut a 40 fter in half if you dont keep all 4 original corners like on a 20 ft the box has very little strength at all .The beauty of having the original corners is if you do lay it over softly you have great/strong top corner holes for chain and winch cable to snatch block and jib to maybe set your own self back on the tires . I just saw this on youtube last friday I watched the video he didnt show much footage underneath . From what i can tell it looks like he might have set the box directly on the Main frame rail like it was a pull tractor with a fifth wheel instead of a personel carier with the added frame rail putting the box up higher away from the tires for more travel and arch I have never measured bed heigth on the conventional 5 tons my bed on 1083 is basically 5 ft high i started to cut 2 foot off the bottom of my container to get the height to 11 ft but i rolled the dice cut 1 ft and hope for the best ?????? I will have to pay lots of attention when on side slopes

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is true. They get flimsy when you cut them. You could use a 40’ and cut out the middle and weld the end back on

The truck in that video is a 20’ container. I have a 40’ and can’t imagine wheels on that thing!

I would look hard at a reefer box. Lightweight and insulated. You would be far ahead of the game on weight, time invested and possibly money if you shop it out and get a good one. Also, you might even find one with a hydraulic lift.A huge bonus.

jcdostie

That is true. They get flimsy when you cut them. You could use a 40’ and cut out the middle and weld the end back on
That's what I intend to do, if I can put the truck back on the road :mad::mad::mad:

The truck in that video is a 20’ container. I have a 40’ and can’t imagine wheels on that thing!
It's a 40' container, cut in half.

The way he attached it to the frame is with 3x 6" I-beam at the original point of attachment on the truck. You can se it on the video

JC

jcdostie

Here's the last update on our project. We have time to work on the plans and equipment with Covid in our head ! Here in Quebec, the Government recommend to stay home and work remotely, so that's what we do.

I've been able to receive answer from Ontario Ministry of Transportation and I can register the truck there instead of Quebec. So it's a GO for us with the project, after Covid :mad:

We also decided to tow a trailer instead of having a garage.
Axles are at the original location on the drawing. I will have them moved to the rear.

Here's my engineer drawings ! Was a long time since I haven't touch Autacad
Everything is in French and measures in inches

JC
Big Green profil droit-page-001.jpgBig Green Plan-page-001.jpg

McSpeed

Very cool! There is a fellow in Canada that built one like this and has a tour of it on Youtube. His turned out very nice.

Mos68x

Here's the last update on our project. We have time to work on the plans and equipment with Covid in our head ! Here in Quebec, the Government recommend to stay home and work remotely, so that's what we do.

I've been able to receive answer from Ontario Ministry of Transportation and I can register the truck there instead of Quebec. So it's a GO for us with the project, after Covid :mad:

We also decided to tow a trailer instead of having a garage.
Axles are at the original location on the drawing. I will have them moved to the rear.

Here's my engineer drawings ! Was a long time since I haven't touch Autacad
Everything is in French and measures in inches

JC
View attachment 794263View attachment 794264
Looks great! When do you expect to start the build?

jcdostie

We have decided to sell the truck. There's too much to do on it in order to get it at her expectation.
We went for a long ride 2 days ago and we decided to buy a more comfortable one for our retirement project.
So here's the link to have the details about it M923A2 for sale

JC

Mos68x

We have decided to sell the truck. There's too much to do on it in order to get it at her expectation.
We went for a long ride 2 days ago and we decided to buy a more comfortable one for our retirement project.
So here's the link to have the details about it M923A2 for sale

JC
Are you still planning to do the same thing with the new truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks