• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Tips for Cat D4

Hello folks! Long time no see...

Well, I recently picked up a 1942 Caterpillar D4 7J and I found out that it's apparently an old military unit. Underneath its numerous shades of yellow, it has fire red, and of course, olive drab (its SN is also indicative of possible military use). I had been planning to paint it old Cat yellow again but I found out that military Cat's are a bigger deal than I thought so I'm looking into painting it olive drab again. From what I've found the most appropriate olive drab is approximately FS 33070 which is the equivalent to the Lustreless Olive Drab used through 1943.

Is this the right paint code for what this Cat should be? Also, as I understand it, the first # 3 makes this a flat paint, should I consider the # 2 for semi-gloss? Another thing, this isn't going to be a full-time show machine, it's going to see some good work too and I want the paint to hold up accordingly. I know that people seem to like some of the Behr exterior paints but it seems to me like I should be looking for a machinery paint. What would you guys recommend overall?

For some more information, I am giving the existing paint a decent sanding with a random orbital sander and I will be priming portions if not all of the cat with Rodda grey or black industrial primer. So far I have only found one area of original lettering, "LeTourneau" on one side of the overhead cable frame but I hope to find more. I'm thinking I might preserve the patch and paint around it. I will be getting a few pictures up too as soon as I can. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures from after I got it going for the first time in over 10 years. I've done some cleaning on it since then.

Here's one of where it sat.

And here's the lettering I found too!

Also, anyone know where to post to try and find the history on this machine?

Last edited:

Katavic918

Cool find. I would love to be able to bring home a bulldozer. I'll bet it has an interesting history. The name you found is probably the last contractor who owned it. Good luck.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LeTourneau was a huge manufacturer of heavy equipment and blades. Search 'letourneau dozer blade' and images. I see that exact setup on the Forestryforum, for example.

D4's like that, with that cable blade(!) were used for building the Alcan highway. They did the lighter work and D7's the heavy. You might have a serious piece of history there!

A wonderful book, Catskinner, by Chester Russell, tells the story. I've read it many times and still enjoy it.

Great find!

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically LeTourneau made cable-operated mechanisms, while LaPlant-Choate made hydraulic blade attachments around this time frame.

I have a 1942 Cat D4 5T with LPC hydraulic 3-way blade, but it's in much worse condition than yours. Your Cat looks fantastic, congrats on getting it running again!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Lelourneau made the over head cable carry, the blade is Cat, there were two types of cable transfer from the back to the front, one was the Lelourneau, the other was alone the side of the engine and across the right fender, this was Cat, sometimes the cable went thought a pipe, other times just sheaves and open cable. remember this was BEFORE OSHA.

I love this information and it would be great if you guys keep posting it! However, does anyone have suggestions or information relevant to the paint please?

It's sounding like a military cable blade is a big deal... Are they really that rare? It's even the manual angle blade and it comes with a brush blade...

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Nice acquisition, Do the research as suggested, they were used in the Philippines and Malaysia. as well as other military destinations. If you could find some data plates or numbers who knows where that might lead to in it's history.

Nice acquisition, Do the research as suggested, they were used in the Philippines and Malaysia. as well as other military destinations. If you could find some data plates or numbers who knows where that might lead to in it's history.
The SN is 7J8162SP. On the injection pump it says 7B1C40 and 19P4317 (I think both of those are only relevant to the injection pump). Between the transmission and the cable drums, a LeTourneau tag has "Power-" something and N11303 T4B- and fades out. On the front of the overhead cable frame, it's stamped D7163-8A and 438GV247. Those are all the ID numbers I have found at this point.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as your paint goes... I don't think Behr is your best choice. I agree that you need to look at something heavier duty.

It's my understanding that Midwest Military bought TM9 Ordnance paint (is that still correct?) I would check with them as he does a heavier duty paint, to include a 2 part. It's more up your alley/what you're looking for. My brain is foggy on the details and names of TM9, it might be something else.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted my D7-7M with 33070 and I consider it correct. Consider buying high quality flat enamel paint by American Coatings available from Brent Mullins Jeep Parts. This paint does far better in the elements than Gillespie paint.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The SN is 7J8162SP. On the injection pump it says 7B1C40 and 19P4317 (I think both of those are only relevant to the injection pump). Between the transmission and the cable drums, a LeTourneau tag has "Power-" something and N11303 T4B- and fades out. On the front of the overhead cable frame, it's stamped D7163-8A and 438GV247. Those are all the ID numbers I have found at this point.
Take these numbers to cat who can follow up and tell you a LOT about the unit, ANY part used CAN BE GOTTEN by cat, do not let a moron parts counter salesmen tell you different, I have had to get parts at times for some VERY old Cats, it is doable, just takes time.

Take these numbers to cat who can follow up and tell you a LOT about the unit, ANY part used CAN BE GOTTEN by cat, do not let a moron parts counter salesmen tell you different, I have had to get parts at times for some VERY old Cats, it is doable, just takes time.
I'll have to see what my local dealer has to say about my Cat. At least in regards to parts, I already tried going to them once for a waterpump seal for this thing and they wanted $90... I ended up siliconing it after finding out that Cat was literally the only place that could get a seal that would fit. I am at least fortunate enough to work for a man that has been restoring old tractors for all his life. He has all sorts of stuff like a ton of Cats, some WW1 Holt artillery haulers, and countless other things.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to see what my local dealer has to say about my Cat. At least in regards to parts, I already tried going to them once for a waterpump seal for this thing and they wanted $90....
Only $90? Wow that is the cheapest thing I have ever heard of from the Cat dealer. It's kind of an inside joke with me, "what is the highest imaginable price for this widget" when I go to the counter.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love this information and it would be great if you guys keep posting it! However, does anyone have suggestions or information relevant to the paint please?

It's sounding like a military cable blade is a big deal... Are they really that rare? It's even the manual angle blade and it comes with a brush blade...

A pic for you found on net.......

Attachments

Last edited:

Juskatla

The ACMOC guys will be the best place for info. I have a friend that has a D4 2T with the Letourneau blade setup same as yours. Its pup is pooched, so has not run for some time. When he bought it years ago, it had been used for logging on the small islands in my part of the world, but time caught up with it and it was retired. He did some research and came up with a lot of pictures of these Cats used on the construction of the Alaska Hwy. A few that I got copies of were loaded on flatcars in Skagway to make the trip over the pass into Canada. They are a piece of history and will be fun to own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks