• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painted my M101a2

TITANBOW

I bought this trailer several years ago, and really was undecided on what I wanted to do with it. I finally decided to start working on it recently.

I replaced/repacked bearings, put new tires on it, sanded and prepped it, then painted the frame and tub with Rustoleum cut with a little acetone in a HVLP spray gun. I did the inside of the wheel wells with truck bed liner.
My favorite touch so far is the bear head bottle opener! I was going to try and find military bows for it, but in the end, the cost and hassle of sourcing them was too much to mess with. I ended up using 3/4" conduit instead.
I was struggling with a way to secure the round conduit in the large square holes of the trailer, and ended up going with some brackets I made from flat steel, with a hole just big enough for the conduit to go down into . It worked well, and is very sturdy.

I also bought a universal BedRug mat, and am going to cut that to fit in the bed. I'm going to have a custom black canvas made for it as well. I am going to keep the surge brake and axle, and really use this mainly to haul family camping gear and a comfortable elk and deer camp.

Trailer2.JPG
Trailer3.JPG
Trailer5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

TITANBOW

Looks Great!! The bottle opener will be very handy also!!! What size and brand are your tires?
Hey Sorry, didn't see this~ These are 245/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs. I've ran them a long time on my trucks and 4x4s and never had an issue. I know they get some internet haters but they've been solid tires for me for stuff like this.

Pat Gray

Thank you. You have done a fantastic job on your trailer!! I did notice when I put the cover on my trailer and the wind would push the front bow back and the rear bow inward. So I added a support bar to keep the bows vertical and the cover a little tighter. It keeps the water from pooling up and pulling the top down. And used a cargo cover net for storing my fishing pole. I could not resist, I also have a bear bottle opener!! LOL

Attachments

flashbucks

Thank you. You have done a fantastic job on your trailer!! I did notice when I put the cover on my trailer and the wind would push the front bow back and the rear bow inward. So I added a support bar to keep the bows vertical and the cover a little tighter. It keeps the water from pooling up and pulling the top down. And used a cargo cover net for storing my fishing pole. I could not resist, I also have a bear bottle opener!! LOL
Where did you get your top cover? Thanks, Gregg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer looks good!

Did you modify the front shackle mounts?
I’ve never seen that style on a M101 series trailer before.

The lug nuts almost look like lock nuts.

Great idea for the bows.

Last edited:

TITANBOW

Trailer looks good!

Did you modify the front shackle mounts?
I’ve never seen that style on a M101 series trailer before.

The lug nuts almost look like lock nuts.

Great idea for the bows.

They were on it when I bought it, they look like they came from the local hardware store. I just painted them, the shackles on the back and the lug nuts orange.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to the mounts themselves, not the shackles.
Their huge and look like they will allow the shackles to really bounce around.

M101 series trailer shackle mount is 3/4” hole.
I’ve even seen 1”
Your trailer looks like just a big loop.

Was just curious if you made the change.

Could you post a more detailed pic of that shackle mount?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks