• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting my M1008

1stDeuce

Well, I have two M1008's thanks to a moment of weakness early this summer, and due to other projects (house) I haven't done much with them. Since it's more than time for one of them to go, and only one is currently a driver, I'm painting it in celebration of the unseasonably warm weather this weekend.

Basic idea was to fix the forklift dents, repair the cab corners and driver's door, and sandblast anything else that looked rusty. Then, paint with Rustoleum, and cover that with 383 Gillespie.

Day one was bump and welding, and then filler for the dents I could see...

Attachments

1stDeuce

Well, I see the pics get order switched between preview and submit. I'll try to keep that in mind...
So day two (today) was more sanding, and sanding, and sanding, and discovering that I never welded in the small cab corner on the driver's side... So more filling and sanding, and filling and sanding. Finally about 6PM was ready for the primer coats...

Finished up well after dark. Can't screw up primer, right? :)

Attachments

1stDeuce

Notice that you can see the filler through the primer?? You kinda still can, but only because the texture is different. I can read the GL lettering on the front fender and box side too, even though I sanded it smooth with the D/A. I'm hoping that a little sanding tomorrow evening will smooth it all out and make it a good base coat for the Gillespie.
I'll take pics tomorrow, but I warn you all, I mixed some white "clean metal primer" with the red rusty metal primer to lighten it up so the green won't come out so dark... I think it might look kinda pink...

Stay tuned!!

PS, anyone interested in a freshly painted, good running M1008?? Needs tailpipes, and probably mufflers. I'll throw in that sweet cap too! :)
C

1stDeuce

Well, I didn't get out of work as early as I had hoped today. Didn't take any pictures, but the filler was harder to see this afternoon. I ran around with spot putty and filled all the pinholes and scratches that I could see as soon as I was home.

Primer was really rough, so I decided to wet sand the whole thing with 320 just to lay it out flat, and blend the spot putty and such. Spent about two and a half hours doing that, and it looks much better now. Other than some grey where I spot putty'd it, and a few spots of black or pink where I sanded through the primer to filler or base, it looks good. Hopefully the green will cover it, cause I'm not laying any more primer. In my rush, I didn't grab any pictures, so you're all out of luck on that one.

Plan is to clear out space in my (tiny) garage, and roll it in for the night. I'm going to call in a mental health morning tomorrow and do the spraying... Looks like it's only supposed to be 64, but it'll be there by 9AM here. That's going to have to do. Rain in the forecast for the afternoon, so if I bust a move, I can have it painted and back under the garage roof before that happens... I'll shoot some pics tomorrow for you all. Wish me luck!!

1stDeuce

Ok, my plan to paint this morning was foiled by wind and rain about 8:30 AM... So I went to work and decided that the weather was good enough to paint this evening. After reading the paint can and various painting reports, I decided to get some hardner and some synthetic enamel reducer to use... No luck. Naptha it is!!

Here's some pics of the truck from this morning just before wind and rain put an end to my show... Dark primer is rattle can that I used to just cover up some light grey filler and sand through marks.

Attachments

1stDeuce

So I ended up starting the spraying a little after 6PM, with temps about 60 and dropping... Had to thin a little more than I wanted to to get it to spray nice and lay out. (conventional gun) Probably around 2:1 paint to Naptha, maybe a little thinner even.

Tossed on a light first coat, and when that was done put on a pretty good second coat, and a third in some places to empty the gun. :)

Only got one coat on the roof, but it was too dark to see what any of it looked like when I finished. When I put it in the garage, the stripes on the hood were just starting to fade... hopefully they'll be gone tomorrow. If not, I guess it gets another coat of paint when weather permits. Not afraid to paint in the cold now, as it was probably only 50 degrees out and seemed to lay out and then set up just fine.

I took a few pics, but they're not very good... I'll get some in the daylight tomorrow and post those. I did notice that I can see all the places I used spot putty, as they are smooth in comparison to the rest of the finish... Hopefully it'll all dull up some overnight.

Attachments

1stDeuce

Pulled it out this morning and took a few pics... Looks like I'm about done!! I didn't even see any thin spot with primer showing in my quick checkout... Wish the paint was a little thicker, as I can still see some of the filler and sanding marks. It's not perfect, but it's painted, and probably better than a depot job. Or the same, at least. :)

And now a question... do the wheels get painted "Satin Black" or flat black???
Seems like flat would hold a lot of dirt, whereas satin might clean up better...

C

Attachments

1stDeuce

M1008 Painted (and now for sale!)

Thanks for the compliment, Powerhousedeuce! I was beginning to think that I was just posting this to myself... So the weather was nice so I did a bit more cleanup and took some better pics... And added it to the classified section so it can hopefully pay for my new furnace!

In all, the paint came out pretty good. If I get right up close, I can see some filler, and places where I didn't quite sand it enough, but it's surprisingly good from a walk around.

What did I learn?? Well, since I have been painting about a vehicle a year, and this coming year looks busy, I now own an HVLP gun with a remote canister. Hopefully that'll make the next truck easier to paint and less messy. I also own a inline sander now, because I just don't have enough time or ambition for block sanding with a 2x4 anymore. Rustoleum rusty metal primer mixed with just a bit of clean metal primer to lighten it up worked really good, and wet sanded out nice after a day of curing.

Though the can calls for Xylene or real synthetic enamel reducer, depending on application method, I had good luck spraying it at about 55F in the dark using Naptha as a reducer for both the Gillespie and the Rustoleum.

The wheels should be flat black, not semigloss or satin. (I may repaint them... I may not.)

Attachments

powerhouseduece

RE: M1008 Painted (and now for sale!)

WOW! turned out great! soon I will have my first painting project coming up, cant really say what it is yet, going to be a christmas gift and the person reads the post! I hope it turns out as good as your truck did!!

davidkroberts

you have a lot more patience than i have when i painted my MV i just washed it taped and covered the spots i didnt want painted and started squirting paint. Truck looks great. Are you planning on leaving it OD or is some crazy free-hand camo in the works sometime?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I' m with Dave. Clean, scrape mask and paint. Painting MVs is like painting a house

ida34

Very nice. I don't think I will have time to paint the deuce before it gets cold (too late). I will be starting work on replacing the floors in my M1009 and painting it. I think I am going to use real carc instead of the gillespie.

Armada

1stdeuce, I drive past Howel every day. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your truck running around. Nice job.

1stDeuce

Fresh paint 1008, now for sale...

Well, I've been driving it around some and it's a nice truck!! A little loud at 55mph, but tolerable. It really likes about 45-50.

Really this is a ploy to move this post to the top again... Truck is now for sale for $3000. I have the title, and it has temp tags and insurance on it if anyone wants to come take it for a drive.

And to stay on topic, I'd have to say that though the gillespie looks really nice, and was EZ to use and apply, I might go CARC for a real military vehicle... The paint on this 1008 was stock, and not too rough, but my other truck will sand your knuckles off if you brush it walking by. (Desert sand CARC) The gillespie is really smooth. On the plus side, CARC holds dirt really bad, whereas the gillespie seems to just hose off and be clean.

The biggest minus is that I think the CARC would cover better given some imperfections... Gillespie is a little thin, and chips, scratches, etc show through.

C

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks