• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting Scepter cans

eagle4g63

The problem with plastic, not just the scepter cans, is that it is oily......the best way to paint any type of plastic it to use plasti-prep.....Dupont makes it. You have to wear gloves when handling the stuff(a mask is also a good idea) and you rub it down to help remove the oils from the surface......scuff it then prime with a etching primer, then paint with whatever you want.....something that will hold up to fuel and oils would be best.

Also don't want to touch anywhere on the part with your bare hands after you rub it down....the oils from your skin will blemish the paint.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look at the sem line of paint made especially for plastic. I believe they have a line that is made for a petroleum environment.

google sem plastic paint

Ray70

Fifty,
I do a good amount of plastic and urethane bumper painting on car parts. The process I use is to wipe down with SEM plastic prep cleaner, then use SEM "Scuff-n-Clean" with a red scotch brite pad, scour the plastic with the scuf pad dipped in the Scuff-n Clean compound. Wash with soap and water, dry and wipe again with plastic prep cleaner, then spray with epoxy 2K sealer, dry 1hr. min. then paint. This works well to clean the oils and mold release agents out of the plastic. They also make special primers and adhesion promoters for different types of plastics, but you really don't need them these days with the new cleaners and scuffing products available for use on problem plastics. If you use the epoxy sealer, be sure to read the tech sheet. Some brands like PPG's DPLF line will only adhere well to plastic if you use the slower activator. And only put on 1 medium coat, then topcoat it.
Like Swiss said, SEM makes some excellent products, you should be able to get their stuff from any good automotive paint supply house.
Ray

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks