• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking and headlights at the same time?

MO MV man

Hello all!

I REALLY need to get my headlights and parking lights to work together.
Driving at night is a recipe for getting pulled over.

I've searched some previous threads and found a couple means to get my headlights and parking lights to work at the same time:

1. Jumper between H and L inside the 3-way switch. How difficult is that switch to disassemble? It SOUNDS easiest.
Is it possible to tap into the harness just outside the 3-way and do the jumper?

2. Run a wire the length of the truck connecting No. 491 (front) and 21 (rear). This is doable and cut-and-dry but the 3-way mod seems cleaner with less wrestling involved.

Any other methods? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help!

jimm1009

You can do that very simply but they can not ticket you for something that works exactly as designed.
Look at the old jeeps, old volkswagens, and early mustangs too.
The parking lights come on in the first position then the second position is the head and tail lights but the parking lights are off.
This started off with the Model T Ford is not earlier so that is perfectly legal.

jimm1009

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you look at the bottom of this thread, you will see several links to related threads that the site software automatically generates whenever you create a new thread.

The thread title "Parking lights" authored my Mangus580 has everything you need.

Snarky

Hello all!

I REALLY need to get my headlights and parking lights to work together.
Driving at night is a recipe for getting pulled over.

I've searched some previous threads and found a couple means to get my headlights and parking lights to work at the same time:

1. Jumper between H and L inside the 3-way switch. How difficult is that switch to disassemble? It SOUNDS easiest.
Is it possible to tap into the harness just outside the 3-way and do the jumper?

2. Run a wire the length of the truck connecting No. 491 (front) and 21 (rear). This is doable and cut-and-dry but the 3-way mod seems cleaner with less wrestling involved.

Any other methods? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Go with number 2 IMO. I just ran a length of wire connecting my rear running lights circuit with my front parking light circuit, works like a charm.

I determined which wire was the rear parking light by turning on the service lights and probing the wiring harness till i found the hot wire for the rear lights. Then I connected a wire with a splice connector and routed it to a wire I determined was on the front parking light circuit. I have a push button light switch, not the 3 lever switch, so the switch mod was a no go.

Also, they can not prosecute you for having no parking lights if that is how they came. Unfortunately, they CAN ticket you if the law in your state requires parking lamps with headlights. It's up to you to prove they came that way. It's a defense against prosecution not against ticketing, as law enforcement officers can not possibly know all light configurations or even all the laws. You're basically guilty until proven innocent in court.

M813A1

It is easy to just remove your 3 lever switch and then then remove the cannon look into it and find the wire letters and add a jumper wire between the two wires and that is all you have to do it take about 30 minutes to remove the switch and add the jumper wire !! If you look at my avatar you will see the front parking lights are on !!

Last edited:

MO MV man

If you look at the bottom of this thread, you will see several links to related threads that the site software automatically generates whenever you create a new thread.

The thread title "Parking lights" authored my Mangus580 has everything you need.
Hi Clinto,

That's the thread I got the two different ideas I posted.
I love how the software on this board coughs up related threads like that.
Same thing it does when you post a new thread.

I was putting out feelers for which was cleanest/most reliable AND for any other possible ideas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks