• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger side alternator shorted.

beltfedonly

I have been searching and reading different threads but any suggestions are really appreciated. I was replacing belt on passenger side alternator and alternator shorted and I had smoke coming from wires at solenoid on firewall near master cylinder. Anyone have this happen and have a fix for it?

rsh4364

This is why I disconnect batteries even if I change light bulbs,I see new fusable links in your future.It seems like even a simple task turns into a chore with the cucvs,until you own it for a few years and learn,learn and learn.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Disconnect the batteries. Repair or replace burnt out wires. Check all fuses and links. Hopefull you can do this. and nothing more major has occured beyond your scope. Be carefull re-connecting the battery leads, see if they connect again with no arcing. Hope all goes well with no major recifications needed. Keep us informed of your fix to the problem.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
This happened to me a few weeks ago.. I replaced both batteries and alts and still happened .so after trying to fix the problem for a few weeks and no luck I put an old alt on the pass side/#2 it fixed it I don't know why, but it did .

MarcusOReallyus

1. You have probably fried a fusible link or two, as mentioned.
  2. You have probably fried the diode trio in the alternator. Rebuild time. jcappeljr, that's why you had the arcing when you reconnected the batteries, and why the old alternator fixed the problem.

beltfedonly, rebuilding these alternators is brain-dead easy, and not really expensive. You can buy a complete kit for around $60, shipped. That will give you new bearings, new electronics, and pretty much make it a new machine. Takes maybe a half hour or 45 minutes the first time through. I think it was Warthog who said he could do one in 10 or 15 minutes now since he's done a few. It's just really easy. The TM has a great section on it. The hardest part is taking it out of the vehicle and putting it back in.

You'll find some test procedures in the TM so you can verify the problem before you spend any money.

Parts here. You should also order a capacitor. The square one that comes with the kit doesn't fit our alternators.

acesneights1

Water can do that. That is how I fried mine. Thing literally belched enough smoke to make me think it was on fire.

beltfedonly

Thanks for the suggestions, I found a burnt fusible link on the red wire from the rear battery that runs across the firewall. Replace the burnt link and life is good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks