• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger side headlight, short

Ajax MD

This problem involves the OEM incandescent bulbs. I am NOT running LED's anywhere in this truck except for the gauge illuminators.

I observed my passenger headlight low beam not working.
I grabbed a spare headlight bulb and it promptly smoked the low beam again. Ok, the passenger low beam power wire is shorting to ground somewhere.

I grabbed my meter and tested for connectivity between plug #18 (low beam) of the headlight bucket and various metal points on the truck with the headlight combination switch OFF. Nothing, no short. With the switch ON, there is connectivity and there should be because wire #91 is ground and that's how the circuit completes.

All other lights on the truck work perfectly. What am I missing? Could it be the high/dim foot switch? Could it be the combination switch?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This problem involves the OEM incandescent bulbs. I am NOT running LED's anywhere in this truck except for the gauge illuminators.

I observed my passenger headlight low beam not working.
I grabbed a spare headlight bulb and it promptly smoked the low beam again. Ok, the passenger low beam power wire is shorting to ground somewhere.

I grabbed my meter and tested for connectivity between plug #18 (low beam) of the headlight bucket and various metal points on the truck with the headlight combination switch OFF. Nothing, no short. With the switch ON, there is connectivity and there should be because wire #91 is ground and that's how the circuit completes.

All other lights on the truck work perfectly. What am I missing? Could it be the high/dim foot switch? Could it be the combination switch?
If there is no short "before" the switch, then there has to be one "after" the switch. Have you checked continuity when you have low beam on vs high beam? Your bright switch is the only commonality between the two. That's where I would start.

Ajax MD

If there is no short "before" the switch, then there has to be one "after" the switch. Have you checked continuity when you have low beam on vs high beam? Your bright switch is the only commonality between the two. That's where I would start.
With power OFF, I have turned the combo switch to "service drive" and activated the high beam foot switch. There is continuity between all three pins in the headlight bucket. That seems correct to me because I think both beams are on when in "high beam." ...aren't they?

Ajax MD

Wait, according to the diagram that's not correct. It's either/or not "both." Maybe I've found the problem. Let me run out and check again.

Ajax MD

Ok, in addition to the meter I rigged a test light. Something between the headlight buckets and the hi/low switch is definitely wrong. It may be the switch.

With both headlights removed, using the test light on one bucket at a time:

- In "low" the passenger low beam (#18) lights the test light. The driver's side does not work. (Remember, the original problem is the passenger low beam blows out when both bulbs are installed)

17 & 18 are common to both buckets. I've traced the harness back to the foot switch and nothing is chafed or pinched. Can I simply remove the foot switch and check connectivity between the 3 terminals?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, in addition to the meter I rigged a test light. Something between the headlight buckets and the hi/low switch is definitely wrong. It may be the switch.

With both headlights removed, using the test light on one bucket at a time:

- In "low" the passenger low beam (#18) lights the test light. The driver's side does not work. (Remember, the original problem is the passenger low beam blows out when both bulbs are installed)

17 & 18 are common to both buckets. I've traced the harness back to the foot switch and nothing is chafed or pinched. Can I simply remove the foot switch and check connectivity between the 3 terminals?
Can you shoot me the page/diagram numbers for the light circuit? Offshore and its a PITA using my phone.

Oh, and you're in the -10, right?

Ajax MD

It's ok, I found the problem. (I was using the big wiring diagram out of the -20) This is an M813.

Some jackwagon swapped 91 and 17 on back of the DRIVER's headlight bucket.
Apparently someone was clever and figured out that if you swap the same wires inside the PASSENGER bucket, the lights will work.
I did not pay attention when I disconnected the wires from the burned out bulb. (Why would I? Everything is labeled).
So I connected the wires correctly, causing a short between the headlights.

I've been driving this truck for 3 years and the headlights have always worked. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

So, I corrected the wiring malfunction on the back of the driver's headlight bucket and now everything works properly.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's ok, I found the problem. (I was using the big wiring diagram out of the -20) This is an M813.

Apparently someone was clever and figured out that if you swap the same wires inside the PASSENGER bucket, the lights will work.
I did not pay attention when I disconnected the wires from the burned out bulb. (Why would I? Everything is labeled).

I've been driving this truck for 3 years and the headlights have always worked. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

So, I corrected the wiring malfunction on the back of the driver's headlight bucket and now everything works properly.
Awesome! Thanks for the followup!!!

Blizken

Hey Guys,

I am having a similar problem and hope you guys can chime in.
HMMWV M1123 A2.

The OEM pass side lamp dim-did not work but BRIGHTS BULB WORKED. Also the pass amber running lamp doesn't work and may be related(?) if its power is downstream from the dims.

I replaced the OEM array lamp with the plug and play LED array on both drive and pass.
Drive side all good. Worked with both dim/bright with both OEM lamp and LED lamp.

Replaced pass lamp assembly with LED lamp.
Same problem as with OEM. Brights come on but no dims.

I am assuming I should just put the meter on "18"?

Looking for some plans of action here.

Thanks in advance.

Blizken

Hey Guys,

I am having a similar problem and hope you guys can chime in.
HMMWV M1123 A2.

The OEM pass side lamp dim-did not work but BRIGHTS BULB WORKED. Also the pass amber running lamp doesn't work and may be related(?) if its power is downstream from the dims.

I replaced the OEM array lamp with the plug and play LED array on both drive and pass.
Drive side all good. Worked with both dim/bright with both OEM lamp and LED lamp.

Replaced pass lamp assembly with LED lamp.
Same problem as with OEM. Brights come on but no dims.

I am assuming I should just put the meter on "18"?

Looking for some plans of action here.

Thanks in advance.
Well that was fast and weird.
Solved.
I hooked the meter up and everything showed 24v on 17 and 18.
Plugged the lamp back in and it all works-including the amber.
No clue how or why but, I will take it.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that was fast and weird.
Solved.
I hooked the meter up and everything showed 24v on 17 and 18.
Plugged the lamp back in and it all works-including the amber.
No clue how or why but, I will take it.
That's why I call the electrical theory "PFM". Pretty Freaking Magical.

Glad it fixed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks