• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Performance Radiators

Warren Lovell

For those of you that need a source for a metal tank radiator...
I just ordered a radiator from ebay. It is advertised as a Performance Radiator (with a cactus logo). The seller was JC Whitney, who I have purchased from before and never had any issues with. The radiator was $359.00 plus Ca sales tax ending up to be $393.00 plus free shipping. I contacted Performance radiator to verify it was correct for the application. Their price was higher than JC Whitney!

The listing was "Performance Radiator New Chevy Suburban Blazer Express Van SaVana GMC 850"
Description was '"PERFORMANCE RADIATOR, COPPER AND BRASS CORE/BRASS TANK, 3-ROW, NEW -- 34 x 19.25 x 2 in. core size, 1.75 in. inlet and outlet size, 3.5 x 20.87 in. top and bottom header; With 5-plate 8.5 in. transmission oil cooler and 6-plate 8.5 in. engine oil cooler; A high quality, OE replacement radiator; With 3-year Performance Radiator limited warranty"
Core material
: Copper
Core dimensions
: 34 x 19.25 x 2 in.
Inlet size
: 1.75 in.
Outlet size
: 1.75 in.
Overall dimensions
: 34 x 19.25 x 2 in.
Engine oil cooler
: Yes
Anticipated ship out time
: 2-3 business days
Quantity sold
: Sold Individually
Product fit
: Direct Fit
Number of rows
: 3
Color/finish
: Black
Recommended use
: OE Replacement
Tank material
: Brass
Replaces dpi number
: 850
Condition
: New

Warren Lovell

Well lovely JC Whitney sent me an aluminum and plastic Spectra CU850! So I called them and they are sending out the correct one. Both have the part number 850. It took 2 days for the radiator to get here which was great. Hopefully a metal one or refund will arrive.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your local radiator shop can order one for you.

My local guy knew exactly what radiator I needed,
plus the part number without having to look it up.
Had it the next day and undamaged.
Box took scrapes but part inside was fine.
Great price too. Considering what it was.

Plus your helping a local business and not a corporation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to toss this out there. Are these radiators that much better than an all aluminum radiator?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to toss this out there. Are these radiators that much better than an all aluminum radiator?
Depends on who you ask.

I went with a new copper/brass one since that’s what it was born with. It fit like a glove and had zero issues.
Most opinions are that the original style cools better and lasts longer. So I’ve read.

Lots of guys go the aluminum w/plastic tanks because it’s less expensive and more readily available.
Also, sometimes, lots of fit and install issues with rigging required.

The extra $$ was worth it for me since it installed great and no fit or cooler line problems.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One single local business that is incorporated or not is what I’m referring to.
Not a corporation with hundreds of locations.
With sue happy America now days it is a necessity for any business to either form a LLC or incorporate.
I'll happily pay a few dollars more to a locally owned business over a national corporation.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With sue happy America now days it is a necessity for any business to either form a LLC or incorporate.
I'll happily pay a few dollars more to a locally owned business over a national corporation.
Well said.
Exactly why I went that route.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I installed a All Aluminum unit. Tanks and all. It now holds 6 gallons of coolant. And never over heats even while towing my tractor. I got it from a local shop. IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0374.jpg

Jeepguy77

I have did some searching and can't find the answer. Is the radiator cap avaible at parts stores or is it special to m35A2? Mine is leaking so need to get a new one .

blueblaze

I found this one on Summit awhile ago.... https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-382001/overview/make/chevrolet The last 2 rads I bought in the last 2 years were Spectre 850 units. Both were advertised as copper/brass. Both showed up as plastic/aluminum. Worst part I thought was that the price never went down and the manufacturing went over seas. The last spectre copper/brass 6.2 rad I bought was made in Canada. Along with other rads and fuel tanks I've bought from them. Then they move the production of the 6.2 rad to china, produce the rad from plastic and aluminum and the price never goes down? Ticked me off. That's why you have to call BS when a company says they won't be competitive if they produce in North America. They don't lower prices they just expand the profit margin.

Warren Lovell

The plastic water neck was broken on the first radiator, also a Spectra. I looked it over carefully and there is just no way to compare plastic neck to a metal one. Not that the neck is going to be subject to a lot of movement. But I wanted a stock style radiator. Gives me time to clean up and paint a bit beforre the replacement arrives!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks