• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Phase converter or gererator?

Drewzer

Can anyone tell me how big of a phase converter or generator I would need for a plasma cutter with this description?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]"Thermal Dynamics, Model PAK10XR, thermal arc, plasma cutting system. SN: Y81513A183501C. Primary V. 200/220, PH 3, Amps 74/68, 60 HZ, Secondary rated current 100 amps at 110 volts. Open circuit voltage 260 volts, 80 percent duty cycle. Electrical diag. 42D700C. Input pressures: Plasma gas 40 PSIG, secondary gas 75 PSIG.[/FONT]"

O.D. Fever

mep002a they load test at 120amp 240 v 3phase.. that is short duty and will pull 110 amp all day long. not bad for a way underated 5kw. P,S. I have the test data and it its an eye popper.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your confusing the MEP-002a with another generator. The 002a is good for 17ish amps at 208 3ph. That info sounds a little high.

Keith_J

Yeah, only a MEP-005A would drive that. Horrible power factor with those old plasma machines which is why the output is only a shade above 10 kW while it loads the generator at 25+kW.

FORGET phase conversion. Snag a 005A. Unless you have a commercial power connection, it will be cheapest.

bmH1065

I have installed many phase converters and have even had to use a transformer to go from 240 to 480 volt. You have to use one that is big enough and run the right size wire but will work the same as having 3 phase from power company. If you need help, the guy that helped me engineer out the last one is Jim at 262-268-7014.

bmH1065

I have built a couple of phase convertors using a 3 phase motor and a pony motor. To work well, you need to use a 3 phase motor that is twice as big as what you are running. A 10 hp for a 5 hp load.

ODdave

I have installed many phase converters and have even had to use a transformer to go from 240 to 480 volt. You have to use one that is big enough and run the right size wire but will work the same as having 3 phase from power company. If you need help, the guy that helped me engineer out the last one is Jim at 262-268-7014.
Have you ever monitored the "3rd" leg on a phase converter durring load/no load switching? Guess what those spikes do to the circutry & transformers in the machine? I use phase convertors on motors only. To each there own though.

Drewzer

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice. Just for mobility and ease, I think the generator will be the ticket for me.

Not cutting a ship in half, but that is what I got from GL. Have to see how the army damaged the plasma cutter before I commit to a generator, here is to hoping for just a few components.

steelandcanvas

So if someone has used a phase convertor to power another unit with a motor and electronics, would it be in someone's best interest to make sure the electronics were not attached to the synthetic leg?

ODdave

So if someone has used a phase convertor to power another unit with a motor and electronics, would it be in someone's best interest to make sure the electronics were not attached to the synthetic leg?
YES, Keep in mind, this can be quite a feat. I have a INDEX radial drill with lots of magnetic switches that will throw one he!! of a fit if they are trigered off the 3rd leg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks