• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Photo of CUCV makes National News

NV555

The CUCV's take a lot of heat but they really have lasted a lot longer on duty than expected.

Most of the ones I have seen coming out on the surplus market have about 55 to 65k miles on them.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 CUCV serves on the front line of the current immigration war.

I think that’s really cool.

Hasdrubal

Read the fine print. Caption says ; In this Friday, Jan. 19, 2007 file photo, a National Guard unit patrols at the Arizona-Mexico border in Sasabe, Ariz.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what.
Maybe not current like I thought, but still doing immigration duty on the border.

Still very cool and still a CUCV photo on a national news story today.

Billions upon billions spent for Military hardware back then and the good ole CUCV still
making a difference.

2007 or 2018........still awesome.

CMPPhil

Hi

There was of video of M1009 driving along the boarder fence this morning news, must have been file video though as the Guard has not even actually been deployed yet.

Best wishes for all troops being deployed any where.

Cheers Phil

LastFbody

Thats pretty cool to see.

I was actually JUST looking around to see when cucvs were decommissioned, it appears they're not done with em yet!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The running joke in Army Aviation is when the last Blackhawk is retired and flown to the boneyard, the crew will be picked up in a Huey.

It’s not over til it’s over.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008A1 was being used at RRAD in 2015.
Appeared they had a Starter solenoid issue, tried to fix it and finally decided to surplus it after that.
With that noted exception, it was (and still is) in excellent mechanical shape, including brand new transmission when I bought it.

Oklahoma National Guard still has about a dozen CUCVs they are still using that I’ve personally seen as of 5 months ago.
I asked one of the older NCOs (E-7) when they were being sold as surplus. He just smiled and said not anytime soon.

Would love to see what would have been done for a CUCV modernization program.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not that it means much of anything, but I've had new trucks with a duramax, I've had stuff with Cummins engines, all modern creature comfort trucks. Heck even leather. But I have absolutely no plan to ever part with my M1008. Yes, it doesn't even have a radio, can only cruise at about 65. Doesn't have gobs of power like my other trucks. But I love it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally agree
I have a duramax now. Leather...blah, blah, etc.
It’s nice and powerful
Yet I always chose to drive my M1008A1 unless I have a specific reason to drive the newer truck.

I absolutely love it.

48cj2a

When the Military National Guard pictures start showing Army in OCPs or the Air Force in ABUs you will know they are current.

They will most likely be in HUMVs or Commercial 4x4. We have about 9 Crew Cab Fords and 1 Chevy (Blue Fleet).

I'm still enlisted and see CUCVs from time to time all over the US in an on base support/services use. A few years ago they were redoing our Military Drivers Licenses that show what you are qualified on and I had the M1XXX fleet put back on for this very reason. Last time we were at Ft Hunter Liggett in Calif we actually Hand Receipted - signed out some but it has been 5 or 6 years.

85CUCVtom

I’m not in the Guard so my opinion is strictly from a civilian perspective but a few of the guard depots in my area still had CUCV’s up until a couple years ago. I recall driving by a couple depots and seeing them from the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks