• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

photos of new used motor oil filter cart

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my UMO filter setup done. Here are the basics:

The pump (a 115 volt boiler burner type pump) takes suction from the bottom of a horizontal barrel. It sucks the oil through a 10 micron Racor filter.

The pump discharges to a Cot brand 1 micron cartridge filter. The discharge has a pressure gauge and relief valve before the Cot filter. The pressure relief valve is to protect the filter and prevent a hose blowout (It is set for about 80 psi and will dump to the barrel in case of high pressure). Working pressure with clean filters is about 42 psi with clean filters and the oil about 50 degrees F. (the temp of my garage).

The oil from the Cot filter goes to the Cot heated head. This unit sprays the oil through nozzles onto a hot surface. This is supposed to flash any water into vapor which is vented to the atmosphere. The power for the heated head is from either 24V or 12V batteries. I am using a battery charger to keep the 12V battery charged while running the unit.

From the heated head, the oil gravitates back to the horizontal drum.

The Cot setup is specced at 8 gallons per hour, so I am running the filter unit for 8 hours per 30 gallon batch. That should completely filter the oil twice. Then I run the unit with the discharge going to my storage/transfer tank.

I figure to change the Cot filter when the disch press reads 50-52 psi. If the disch press reads significantly less than 42, it is time to change the suction filter cartridge.

All this is probably overkill, but I am anal about sending only clean fuel to the injection system. Also, I was wanting to build a system around the Cot filter as a hunting buddy sells these systems to large trucking outfits, marine and stationary engine users. They come out of Sweden and were designed to filter lube oil and remove water on running engines, but I think will work well to polish lube oil for fuel.

Attachments

Kaiserjeeps

Absolutely fantastic. That is a very nice looking set up. Good safety features also. Still collecting parts for my set up and reading good stuff like this post.
Juneau absolutey rocks. I just spent the best vacation there in August.
Great post thanks!:D

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil cart use and cost

Thanks, I have filtered about 50 gallons so far, it is working quite well. I fabbed up a better manifold where the hoses flow into the horizontal barrel. That way I don't have drips from the return hose and safety valve hose. Also, I can screw a funnel in the top of that manifold for filling the drum with oil to be filtered.

As far as cost, I had most of the stuff. I had an old oil burner pump, Racor, hose, fittings, etc. The only thing I had to buy was the Cot Filter. That setup with all fittings, hoses, filter can, heated head and 3 (1 micron) filters was $500. With Alaska diesel prices I figure that will be amortized with the first hundred gallons that I filter.

If I had to buy everything, I know the Racor would run about $120, the pump probably $300 new, then hoses and hardware. That's going to push $1000. Because I had the Racor, I use the 10 micron filter there simply to keep the more expensive 1 micron Cot filters from plugging up too quickly.

The good news is that most of this can be scavenged and salvaged. the one thing I could not recycle is the Cot heated head. These are set up with a thermostat specific to the liquid being filtered. Lube oil is one setting, hydraulic oil a different one, etc.. I assume they could spec one for ATF. I don't think it would be a good idea to spray a low FlashPoint oil like Low Sulfer Diesel (as low as 135F F.P.) on to a hot plate that is set up for lube oil (200F F.P.).

Hope this helps.

Dieselking22

Heres my used WMO cart. It has 2 big hydraulic filters that are 10 micron i think... and a fuel filter on the back that is 7 micron. Ive got 40 bucks in it. This set up is probably worth over $200 i would think

212sparky

when i was a crane tech at a large steel mill in Middleton Ohio we had a system like that that cost us $4500.00 to filter the hydraulic fluid in the slab lifter tongs. could have made a killing selling that to them. we went through a set up a month because the crane operators would crush them because they hated when we took the good tongs down for filtering.

southdave

Thanks, I have filtered about 50 gallons so far, it is working quite well. I fabbed up a better manifold where the hoses flow into the horizontal barrel. That way I don't have drips from the return hose and safety valve hose. Also, I can screw a funnel in the top of that manifold for filling the drum with oil to be filtered.

As far as cost, I had most of the stuff. I had an old oil burner pump, Racor, hose, fittings, etc. The only thing I had to buy was the Cot Filter. That setup with all fittings, hoses, filter can, heated head and 3 (1 micron) filters was $500. With Alaska diesel prices I figure that will be amortized with the first hundred gallons that I filter.

If I had to buy everything, I know the Racor would run about $120, the pump probably $300 new, then hoses and hardware. That's going to push $1000. Because I had the Racor, I use the 10 micron filter there simply to keep the more expensive 1 micron Cot filters from plugging up too quickly.

The good news is that most of this can be scavenged and salvaged. the one thing I could not recycle is the Cot heated head. These are set up with a thermostat specific to the liquid being filtered. Lube oil is one setting, hydraulic oil a different one, etc.. I assume they could spec one for ATF. I don't think it would be a good idea to spray a low FlashPoint oil like Low Sulfer Diesel (as low as 135F F.P.) on to a hot plate that is set up for lube oil (200F F.P.).

Hope this helps.
I use an old electric water heater some gave me, swap out the elements for new.. pump it into WH via blow off valve opening.. 45 min later.. I open the valve on the bottom drain the water..and crud out then pump another 35 gal into it filter out the hot though a 150 and a 30..

Blind Driver

A 12 volt system can be mounted on a vehicle for on the go filtering. But, without a centrifuge, I think you'll still get a sludge build up in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Jeepjake

Nice work!

Good info and thanks for the pics. It reminds me how much I could be saving if I would get my butt in gear and get a filtration setup finished, even a fancy system would have a respectable ROI with fuel cost the way it is.

Jeep

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks