• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a Huey UH-1B today

DoctorCheney223

Hi Folks,

I just had an ex-US military Huey UH-1B dropped off today. This one is complete except for the engine, seats and most of the dash gauges. All the wiring, transmission and other parts are still there. We will be using it for a zip line at our new indoor shooting range one block of the Las Vegas Strip.

We removed all the Mitsubishi corporate stickers from it and will start the painting process next week. We only have one former Marine working for us and the rest of us are Army. With the majority of my employees being former Black Horse, the Huey will be getting a 1960's Air Cav paint scheme.

I will post pics here as we progress.

Attachments

DoctorCheney223

Where is this range going to be?
Directly behind Circus Circus on Industrial and Circus Circus Drive. We have 3.3 acres of property one block off the strip. Right now we have the following:

11 M35's
3 Comm's trucks
1 HMWVV
2 GPW's
1 M151
1 WC-63
1 Huey UH-1B

With the range comes about 150 machineguns and approximately 150 semi-autos.

thanks,
Ron

CycleJay

Hello,

What do you mean you are going to use it for a zip line?
And do you use the other mv's there as targets? (I hope not.. )

Good night,

CJ

P.s. If I had the money to buy a helo, I would make it fly again.
In case I ever needed it, (after learning to fly and get a license of course.. )

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We don't keep the HMWVV on the property right now because we use it for promoting our retail gun store here in the valley. Does this place look a little familiar?

Yea thats near North Vegas, Did't the building used to be used for a used car lot years ago..? The name was sunshine Sams Auto.

FrankUSMC

My Dad trained on the UH1B models. In the book "We were soldiers, and young" my mom highlighted the names of soldiers who knew my dad and would come over to our house. I still have have dads manuals on the UH1B. His huey in Viet Nam was named "Over Sexed". That was painted on the nose with two sex symbles overlapping each other painted under the name. That huey was also a UH1B, that had been outfitted as a gunship.
Thanks for saving our history.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

DoctorCheney223

My Dad trained on the UH1B models. In the book "We were soldiers, and young" my mom highlighted the names of soldiers who knew my dad and would come over to our house. I still have have dads manuals on the UH1B. His huey in Viet Nam was named "Over Sexed". That was painted on the nose with two sex symbles overlapping each other painted under the name. That huey was also a UH1B, that had been outfitted as a gunship.
Thanks for saving our history.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Do you have pictures of your dad and the helicopter? We are using pictures of our family members who served from WWII up until the current GWOT. My uncles served in both Korea and Vietnam, my partner's grandfather served in WWII and between the five of them, we have pictures of them next to GPW's, CCKW's, M35's, mobile missile systems, etc but nobody (friends or family) flew a Huey. All of the pictures are going to be placed in plaques with a description of the vehicle, theaters of operation and a brief bio about the GI next to the vehicle/weapon. I would LOVE to have a history behind this helicopter and restore the paint/markings to the one your father flew.

In fact, all of our Deuces will be named after Nevada Army National Guard soldier who were killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. Their picture will be on the Wall of Honor and their name is going to be stenciled on the bumper.

The facility we are opening up will look like a Forward Operating Base. The entire perimeter and all the roof tops will be double C-wired, buildings will be painted in a camo scheme CLOSE to a military pattern but a bit softer in colors.

Frank, I would be honored if we could use your father's history in our restoration but if not I TOTALLY understand.

thanks,
Ron

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea thats near North Vegas, Did't the building used to be used for a used car lot years ago..? The name was sunshine Sams Auto.

What's near North Vegas? Circus Circus isn't. It's where I like to stay out there. I wish I had seen the stuff while I was there last summer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks