• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked Up a Pair of MEP-701As

RangerBob

On my way from Atlanta to Albuquerque for Christmas break, I detoured through Baton Rouge and picked up a couple of presents from derf. Thanks derf!!

After a quick function check, we loaded these bad boys into the back of my work truck with only a wee bit of drama. Night ops can be a challenge.

With the first one, we just wrestled it by hand from his trailer into the back of my truck. Just as we had it spanning the gap between trailer and truck, the trailer began moving backwards! :shock: The classic 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction' scenario. Before the gen slipped off the truck bed and hit the pavement, I managed to hop off the trailer and put the chock to the other side of the wheel. aua

The second gen was loaded with an engine lift instead. But as we neared the back of the truck, one of the lifts wheels dropped into a small crack in the driveway with a jolt, causing the chain supporting the gen to slip a link on the hook with a loud 'pop' and give us a heck of a scare. We stopped and stared at it for a few seconds trying to figure out what just happened and whether something was about to break, sending gen two to the ground. Seeing everything was OK, we finished loading gen two.

In a couple of days I will be unloading these in my super duper secret desert location near WSMR. There will be pictures and videos. Eventually I'll be loading one into one of my S-250 shelters and hauling it to my NH hideaway. It'll become the backup to the backup to the backup power system (micro-hydro/wind/sun/gen) in my future new off-grid home.

Attachments

Last edited:

RangerBob

Finally got these unloaded yesterday. The plan had been to unload them on Monday with the aid of the hoist in the back of RGS20inophirs deuce, but he had fuel contamination issues. Whole 'nother story there with us using a cargo strap as a strap wrench, and banging out clogged filters on the side of a residential road at 2100hrs and 13F. However, I did manage to borrow a motorcycle/ATV ramp and three of us were able to manhandle them out, with just a couple of scary moments. So here they sit with my S250s and a few of my antique snowcats until I have the time to haul everything east.

Thanks again to Ryan for the manual labor and attempted deuce use, and to his friend Jason for the late night deuce rescue! They have their own deuce mini motor pool down in little Socorro.

Attachments

Last edited:

PeterD

If you are doing this in NH, you are welcome to give me a call. I might (depends on where you are, of course) be able to help you out when you need an extra hand (or a tool that you don't have and I do!)

RangerBob

Thanks, but I'm north of Berlin ('Berl-in' as they say there), so not very close. I probably won't be able to move these north until spring, which is when I hope to start building on the property.

RangerBob

Yup, will need a large shop for the cats. I actually planned on building a shop first, but since the property already has a foundation for a house, guess I'll have to do that first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks