• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up M1101 today - let the conversions begin

p928

Picked up a GSAuction one in Sierra Vista AZ today. Very nice people down there btw, quite helpful. It ran fine for the 3+ hour trip up to south Phoenix (Laveen). Stopped on the way back and had a used camper shell stuck on as well. It does suck doing 55-60 while being passed by literally everything on the road, but after awhile I relaxed and got used to it.
So, wiring plug and changing bulbs first.
See if I get lucky and the extra set of tires for the truck come anywhere near fitting (while hopefully not sticking out).
It has the covering tarp as well, I removed it as a precaution for the drive home and promptly had one of the plates on the top go sailing off about 50 feet out of the gate. Turned out the middle one wasn't screwed in, so I removed the other two as a precaution. The "flyer" dented one corner, but it seems like it will straighten back out with a little persuasion.

All in all, one busy day.
8-7-20-trailer pickup day.jpg

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice...I was able to recover an M1102 yesterday and will be picking it up soon. I will be watching your progress.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why 55-60MPH? Were you worried about the trailer's top-speed limit or was that all the truck would do with the trailer behind it?

I've run mine 70-75MPH without drama. I wouldn't suggest you do that, but just putting it out there that the trailer's speed limitation is somewhat conservative.

The Hemi jeep has no problem pulling the trailer even with a yard of gravel in it. The only time I was concerned about weight was the time I hauled a pallet of landscape blocks; I could really feel the weight of those.

Good luck with the new used trailer! Love mine and have had to fend off multiple offers from people to buy it.

p928

No, the diesel had no issues whatsoever with it. It regularly pulls my 24 ft enclosed trailer with a race car in it at speeds well above 55. I was just being cautious after reading all the overheated bearing talk on here and elsewhere.
I did pull over and check the hubs, once a couple miles down the road and the second about 50 miles later. Both times they seemed fine temp wise, but until I got it home and checked it over, I didn't want to be "that guy" off the side of the freeway.

Funny you mention the offers to buy it - On my way back home with it, when I stopped to have the camper shell put on the truck, a customer in there noticed it and came up asking if I wanted to sell it. We were "unable" to come up with a good price haha. I suspect he'll be watching the auctions going forward. Would have been interesting to explain to my wife how I spent the better part of a day and didn't come home with a trailer- but I'm guessing the money would have helped my case. ;)

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, all I got on the way home with mine were some strange looks and stares...

I pulled mine home with my M1009 so as not to need to rig up any trailer lighting- plugs right in. That was the first and last time it was ever behind the 1009 too.

I paid $750 for this one ($950 for the first one I sold later for $2100) and sold the HMMWV wheels/tires for $400, then saved around $300 the first time I used it to haul gravel. I had some broad come pecking at my door asking if it was for sale- I didn't answer the door but she left a long note. Previously I had some guy stop and ask if it was for sale. A couple more when I was at the home center.

From now on I'm going to tell people yes, and then quote the retail price of $8,000 and see how interested they are. I think the two people that came to my door were hoping I never use it and would let it go for $100 or something. I park it in the trees on the edge of the property, so maybe it looks abandoned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks