• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

plastic air line leak

Lothar

Good morning. Spent the last couple of days making repairs and adjustments to the new truck. Hope to get some advise on the latest problem. I found and air leak in the line going to the winch control. If this picture worked there is an arrow pointing at the top of a plastic tee. That is the location of the leak. Do I need to replace the tee or just the line? And where do I get the parts? Thanks-Mike

*this picture is the inside of the gearshift column of the A3

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DOT air brake fittings that I am familiar with, are brass. I would replace the fitting. At best & worst, you will only have to cut off the line, right next to the fitting! You get the DOT fittings at a heavy truck parts store. They are special, and have a special ferrel and a sleeve inserrt to go inside the tubing, to keep it from collapsing, when the nut is tightened. They come in different sizes, which should be written on the tubing..... I have never seen one leak at the fitting.

skinnedknuckles

You can also get the fittings at Napa. Looks like your fitting is a quick connect one and it has too much bend of the air line and that puts a side stress on it causing the leak. These quick connect fittings only like a nice straight connection with no sideways pull. If you get a brass fitting, it will probably take a few different ones to make up what you need, make sure that it is well supported because it will be heavier than the plastic one. The hose is readily available at Napa or businesses that deal with semis and it cuts easily with a sharp knife. Just make sure that when you put the fittings on the hose, that you use the proper ferrules and small brass support tubes that go inside the hose where the ferrules squeeze down so you don't collapse the plastic hose.
Paul in Wisconsin

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a quick disconnect fitting. Push in on the collar and pull the line out. The line is most likely OK and the leak is the fitting. Wonder why plastic was used??? Go to NAPA or a local truck dealer like KW, Peterbilt. etc and get a new one. You can get a brass one like the one you have or a compression style. As stated above, if you get the quick disconnect style, make sure the routing makes it so the lines in and out are straight with no side loading of the fitting.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can straighten the line out going into the fitting, you may a push it back on there to fix it. As others have said, it looks like the angle going into the fitting is the problem. If you can't straighten it out you may need a longer line.

Rustygears

Often with those push-on fittings, pushing the line in fully to seat and seal will fix. Next easy try is to pull on the outer collar and remove the line from the fitting, then trim off just enough plastic line to put only fresh plastic tubing inside the fitting and then reassemble. That wil fix 99% of the leaks. Rarely there may be a hairline crack in the tee or an f'd up fitting end requiring replacement of the whole tee. You can get push on replacement fittings at home depot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks