• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plastic gasket in Hub?

linhster

Rebuilding the hub…. How critical is it to required the use of the plastic gasket between the input seal and the hub? Can I just use RTV silicone instead?

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did mine and it strikes me that this is a shim more so than a gasket. I used locktite flange sealer on them rather than high temp RTV. Its thinner and looks like what was used prior.

TwoStates

In a related matter, I used red colored Permatex Gasket Maker Anaerobic Sealant on mine yesterday when resealing the back cover on to the hub after inspecting the spindle nut. The package didn't say anything about cure time, whereas other gasket maker sealants (other than anaerobic sealants, which is what the TM calls for) call for a cure time of 24 hours before refilling with oil. After sealing them up, I immediately filled with oil and drove it after 18 hours. They all leaked, some worse than others. Anyone know if there are any tricks to sealing the hub back covers?

Last edited:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just kept them in the same order and on the same hub that I removed them from. The locktite flange sealer was an anaerobic sealer. I applied the sealer around the innermost mating surface, not so much on the shims. I filled the hubs the next day though, and have had no issues with leaking.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
manual says its a shim and to put back what you took out.
correct...the procedure is in the TM, it requires a feeler gauge.
one way to tell if its too tight is to rotate the spindle after you torque the 4 bolts, it should spin freely. I have torqued them and had it tight, add a shim and its spins freely.
the book shows only 1 thickness, but I've found some very thick ones in there...
the seal plate forces the bearing cone downward, to tight and it will heat that bearing and cone and cause premature failure.
I use black RTV on everything and don't wait for setup, but I do wait 24hrs before they get wet. I don't have any leak issues...another good sealant is "the right stuff". That's all I use on valve covers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks