• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poof! here I am.

DavidWymore

My name is David. I live in El Centro, CA. I'll give you $5 if you can find it on a paper map, haha.

Brother to K10A.

Like mil stuff, so far all I own are some largeish 15.5/80/R20 Michelin Pilotes - that I have a question about. I'm gonna go find the appropriate forum for my Question and update my signature.

Problem? I had one mounted on a regular alum rim yesterday. I want to find out if this is OK so I can buy and get the rest mounted today and start cutting to fit.

The tire's bead is the whitish area to the left of the rim. The bead area is about 2" wide and the alum rim flange is only about 1". Is this OK or is the tire gonna roll off @ 0 PSI?

THANKS - David

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i uesd to live in san diego and vista, i know where el centro is, did a few jobs there

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DavidWymore said:
Like mil stuff, so far all I own are some largeish 15.5/80/R20 Michelin Pilotes - that I have a question about. I'm gonna go find the appropriate forum for my Question and update my signature.

Problem? I had one mounted on a regular alum rim yesterday. I want to find out if this is OK so I can buy and get the rest mounted today and start cutting to fit.

The tire's bead is the whitish area to the left of the rim. The bead area is about 2" wide and the alum rim flange is only about 1". Is this OK or is the tire gonna roll off @ 0 PSI?

THANKS - David
Not really sure what you are talking about David. What are you working on? Are you talking about Michelin XL's? What is a regular aluminum rim? What size rim? A 15.5/80R20 would require a 10x20 rim. What are you cutting to fit? Did you mean to post a picture because I can't visualize a white area or the bead.

I can't imagine any tire staying on a rim at 0 psi (without a beadlock) nor why you want to run a tire at 0 psi. Running in rocks, sand, mud, etc... 10 psi should be sufficient to increase traction.

What are you putting these tires on?

Oh, finally, no this is not the right forum for your question, but it is so vague, I don't know where to stick it.

DavidWymore

Sigh.

Sorry. I forgot I'm kinda outta place. Going on a Blazer buggy. Chopped up, tubed out blazer on 1008 axles. I currently run 38" 395/85/16 XMLs but I got a little crazy on ebay and ended up with these tires. I mounted one on a 20"x8.5" aluminum civilian rim like you see on "kool" kids trucks these days - narrower than recommended 10" = a poor man's beadlock. My 38"s work in the sand without air in them on 7" wide rims. These are even bigger and stiffer, so the MO will be the same.

Sorry I forgot to post the tire/bead pic. Went to the drive-in with the wife, son, and sis-in-law last night, didn't get home til 2am, got called in to work at 6:30. Little discombobulated.

There isn't really a tire forum, so....I dunno. Should I just delete my posts and leav since this isn't an offroad forum? Half jesting. :)

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, well not really a good spot for this post, so we'll just put you in the Mechanical Upgrades forum. By the looks of the bead, I would still prolly run a 10" rim, but I like to err on the side of caution if it is used on-road at all. If its use is all off-road and you really want to do a poor-man's bead-lock, you could punch about a dozen machine screws through the wheel and bead. That's old-school, but would still work on a budget. Just don't go all the way through the bead or you'll be chasing leaks :wink:

DavidWymore

steelsoldiers said:
Hmmm, well not really a good spot for this post, so we'll just put you in the Mechanical Upgrades forum. By the looks of the bead, I would still prolly run a 10" rim, but I like to err on the side of caution if it is used on-road at all. If its use is all off-road and you really want to do a poor-man's bead-lock, you could punch about a dozen machine screws through the wheel and bead. That's old-school, but would still work on a budget. Just don't go all the way through the bead or you'll be chasing leaks :wink:
There is plenty of bead there. I've seen guys put screw in so they come thru the wheel right behind the bead, so they don't pierce it, but keep it from pushing back. I'd rather avaiod putting holes in the wheels though.

DavidWymore

CCATLETT1984 said:
tire glue would also work., but i dont think you are supposed to use it on aluminium rims.

Thanks all for your help.

I have never heard of it before, but I thought about trying glue the other night. Maybe gorilla glue or something. Anyone got ideas on this? Brands/links or anything...alum OK or no?

I also thought about grit-blasting the bead area of the wheel to make it grip better. We have a heavy, coarse grit that is actually shark little chunks of metal for removing heavy scale. leaves metal like grip tape. I don't know if either will really work if the bead is trying to roll off.

I read a 4x4 article where they discovered that the "rim protector" ridge they put on some offroad tires now actally causes the bead to break more easily. I think I *might* end up with the same problem.

I'm posting a picture of a truck another guy did what I'm attempting to. Mine will be lower and more buggylike.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks