• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pop-up hardtop trailer

blacktop_one

I keep seeing these trailers with what appears to be a pop-up hard top. Does anyone have an interior photo showing the mechanism by which they raise and lower this top? I'm intrigued and want to build something similar on my 105.
popup.jpg

Oldfart

Our unit has a "porta-power" type jack that is placed on the trailer floor in the center and lifts the top into position. Retaining pins are inserted to hold the top in the up or lowered position. Jack is stowed under the cabinet/seat frame.

armytruck63

I was thinking along the lines of Stan. This would be a great idea for a shelter for the back of the duece. You could get into a camping spot without snagging tree branches and then pop up the camper when you get to the site. Similar to one of those old Alaskan pop up campers.

Hmm, another future project...

Oldfart

The jack arrangement looks similar to some of our shop porta-power units. The ram is 3 to 4 feet long and it has a channel on the end that fits around the interior top ridge frame. The ram is affixed to the plunger/reserviour and there is a purpose built frame that serves as a base as well as holding the whole works together.

The whole bed cover arrangement is attached at the trailer bed body in a permanent fashion. The attachment framing as well as the construction of the cover (both top and bottom) are purpose built as well. Our unit was labeled as a "PPL" trailer. It came with 3 cabinets, two of which appear to be original and a third that was clearly something added in the field. The original cabinets are forward and bolted to a frame that crosses front to rear over each wheel well. There is some wood decking on the portion of the frame without cabinets. If one were to remove the cabinets and deck the whole of the frame, it could make nice deep seats or perhaps a place to sleep.

We have seen some newer versions of this bed cover arrangement that appear to be made out of fiberglass or roto mold plastic. One of these newer units was a single piece cover that did not expand while the others were expandable.

Milbikes

Look up Alaskan Camper. They have a similar setup, which used a bottle jack and think hydraulic cylinders to raise the top half. The modern ones may have gotten more high tech.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardtop

I've got one of those, this is my thread on it Hardtop
And this . . . is the jack that came w/ it
11-08-05 (1).jpg 11-08-05 (2).jpg

And the corner pins
11-08-05 (5).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks