• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible acquisition

kurtkds

So I've been having a garage sale all weekend and I've had all kinds of Questions about the OD in the front yard...:D

So today I had an old timer ask if i was interested in a '43 CCKW. Says there is no box on the back and the typical ran when parked statement. LOL

I'm planning on looking at it tomorrow and get some pictures.

So the question is what level of basket case should i jump into...:eek:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is, if the price is fair, get it even if you are not really interested in restoring it yourself, as long as you can afford it and your wife won't kill you. Post here in the classifieds to get it a suitable home, someone who loves CCKWs and wants to give it a caring home. Sometimes it's a lot of work, but we're all about saving things here for future generations to enjoy. Hate to see you pass up on it, then the old gent gets discouraged and scraps it.

FrankUSMC

Most of the CCKWs you find are very used up. It would be great if you could get it and break it up for parts to restore others. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, the CCKWs got a new lease on life when the last of them were being sold off by our European allies. At that time "military vehicle collectors" had entered the market for the old trucks. Before that time, only construction companies and farms were buying them, read Using them to death. Most you find today with no box on the back had a crane or something mounted on them.
Also, remember. unlike our beloved m35 series trucks, even during production, the CCKWs were being made with two different drive trains (banjo, and split axle), plus a short, and long wheel base models. As the production went on, they were changing to different brake systems.
Try to find the most complete CCKW you can find to restore.
Before any one shows up to burn a cross on my front lawn, I have owned two CCKWs, a 1942 long wheel base closed cab ( Loved it!!!), and a very rare open cab airborne CCKW ( it broke down into two halves to be flown into an airfield). I paid $1800 for the closed cab CCKW in 1988, and it was a European rebuilt one that only needed correct paint.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

dmetalmiki

Well if you get it, you may be pleasantly surprised as to what it might take to restore. But if not, then as others hinted, Pass it on to a needy member.

kurtkds

Here's some pictures of it.
There's also a few other items there too.
Willy engine and garwood winch.

The owner of them told me that his father made the skid that has the Willy's engine and winch on it to clear the property where he lives, the winch looks to be the correct one to go on the front of the CCKW too!
uploadfromtaptalk1432594927299.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432594952075.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432594969372.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432594997004.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432595011957.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432595026501.jpg

Last edited:

kurtkds

Wooden steering wheel that's coming apart, and yes, lots of rust, I'm not holding my breath. He's supposed to be getting it out of the black berries this afternoon so I can get a better look at the whole thing.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It rolls, so you can move it.

It looks to have glass, so it can sit in the rain, under a tarp and not get any worse than it is, as you figure out what to do next.

You had the tools to recover & transport it to its new home. So you didn't have to invest dollars in a wrecker, only the mechanical puzzle itself.

You can learn all about fixing her up, post it up here on Steel Soldiers where I can follow it, and I can use the info to work on my DUKW.

You can start to collect on on all those favors you paid out. Heck maybe you can even get that Rodocker kid to pay back some of the hard work you put into his acquisitions. :)

A win, win, win situation as I see it. Congrats.

Scott, time to plan a mini rally?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is beautiful! I'd give my left brother for a round cab like that. Now that it's out of the bush she looks like a keeper. Keep the photos coming and thanks for sharing.

kurtkds

So the frame was extended a couple feet, that will come off along with the extra steel that was added for its previous life as a mobile lifting platform for installing siding on buildings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks