• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Distribution Panel repair

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had to replace terminals in the PDP? I burned one of the terminals where CB-79 plugs in due to a shorted wiring harness (still chasing it). The terminal is attached to the 24v buss-bar that runs along the rear, feeding the whole strip of 24v CB's. That buss-bar is covered with a slide-off insulating tube. If you have done this you know what I am talking about.

My question is, how do those female terminals attach to the buss bar? They appear to plug in to a flat terminal on the buss bar but do not want to come off. I have pushed and tapped on the terminal from the rear trying to unplug it but it does not move. The buss bar does not seem to unplug but it seems it has to.

Any advise?

Picture attached showing the end of the rubber covered buss bar and it's matching terminal (with the yellow latch). This is not the exact one I'm working on, just the easiest to photograph.
0502201853.jpg

The terminal with the yellow keeper is easy. It's the terminal on the buss bar I need advise on.

Thanks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Fargo Dill blox bb-10l for 10 contact spaces. I think it comes in different section sizes. They are still in business you can call them. I think it comes out in sections. Most other contacts are held in with tabs. I never had to pull one of the buss bars.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That really helped! The drawing for that bus bar indicated it is all one piece so has to be removed in one piece. I will disassemble and either repair the one contact or swap out the whole buss. Many thanks.

I found the reason for the failure and will update the thread soon.

coachgeo

Fargo Dill blox bb-10l for 10 contact spaces. I think it comes in different section sizes. They are still in business you can call them. I think it comes out in sections. Most other contacts are held in with tabs. I never had to pull one of the buss bars.
Did Fargo manufacture the whole PDP? Asking cause Iffff.. the PDP schematic is NOT in the TM's in a manner that would make it decipherable to re-create a new PDP... then maybe that schematic can be gotten from Fargo? or whole new PDP put together by fargo??

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PDP is a stack of Dill Blox "tinker toy pieces" put together any way desired. It's a neat system. Stack as desired then insert the red locks to tie it together.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Followup on the blown CB-79 in my LMTV M-1078: The power wire to the fuel solenoid had been rubbing on a bolt head near the solenoid terminals. It got bounced one-time-too-many and shorted out. That took out CB-79 through relay K19 the start inhibit relay.

When you kill the fuel and inhibit starting the truck does not run very good. $350 tow bill but could have been much worse. We broke down 5 miles from a big wrecker, but had been heading for Forest Service Roads "30 miles in".

Attachments

Ronmar

Thanks for the followup. Pretty common problem on older fords(harness to valve cover and manifold studs)... Everyone who owns one of these should have some jumper wires made up. Male spade to male spade about 3" long(can bypass any failed relay), male spade to spade about 9" long(can jump from one relay ckt to another and bypass failed truck wiring loops) and one male spade to terminal lug 16" long to draw power from one of the lugs on the PDP to apply at any relay point(bypass main sw). A couple of these and you can get around most any electrical component failure and keep the alt online and charging, at least long enough to get you out of the bush... that is of course after you find what is shorted:)

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking at the useage of all 10 of the Circuit Breaker positions, CB 49 is for the PTO which my truck does not have. CB 49 was repurposed to replace CB 79. The PDP was labled to remind me. Back on the road again.

I do have a quick jumper and spare relays and CBs but of course the dead short had to be found first. Thanks for the help!

spankybear

I have got to ask will dill blox sell you parts and such? I want to utlilize relays K12 and K15 and will have to rewire. It would be cool to add stuff to the PDP.

coachgeo

Ronmar

confused..... is this the actual board parts.... or parts needed to build your own PDP... and are you referring to an A1 or an A0
These are the powr-block module components for the power panel used in the A0. These parts would allow you to rebuild/re-configure the A0 panel to suite more customization, such as a 12V ignition switched bus with fused outputs, right in the panel without having to add a separate external fusebox.

The A1 uses a soldered circuit board in the PDP and would be a little more difficult to re-configure... The A1R uses off the shelf fuse and relay modules similar to the VIM used in the A0 with WTEC2...

spankybear

These are the powr-block module components for the power panel used in the A0. These parts would allow you to rebuild/re-configure the A0 panel to suite more customization, such as a 12V ignition switched bus with fused outputs, right in the panel without having to add a separate external fusebox.

The A1 uses a soldered circuit board in the PDP and would be a little more difficult to re-configure... The A1R uses off the shelf fuse and relay modules similar to the VIM used in the A0 with WTEC2...
What he said... I want to customize my A0 so I can add stuff. K 12 is there and not used on my truck. there is also K15 to use as needed. I want to have a 12 volt bus that is switched with the ignition switch. Some simple reconfigation to K12 and there you have it. There is also empty places for fuses I can add for stuff like back up cameras and a tablet and what not. All in one place and no needed to add a extra fuse block.

Ronmar

What he said... I want to customize my A0 so I can add stuff. K 12 is there and not used on my truck. there is also K15 to use as needed. I want to have a 12 volt bus that is switched with the ignition switch. Some simple reconfigation to K12 and there you have it. There is also empty places for fuses I can add for stuff like back up cameras and a tablet and what not. All in one place and no needed to add a extra fuse block.
Yea, if you don’t have a wrecker with work lights, K12 is a pretty obvious candidate for a ignition switched 12V supply relay.

Since it is also already switched up into the auxiliary panel it would also be pretty easy to add a switch and use one of the steering diodes on the ignition line to add an ACC switch(12v accessories only) power control to provide power to these items without turning on the main switch...

you could also easilly incorporate the radio relay to drop these circuits while cranking. lots of potential in that panel.

I said above that it might be more difficult to re-configure an A1 panel, but i should probably re-phrase that. If you already know how to solder, the A1 panels might actually be a little easier to re-configure, and no real parts required beyond solder and wire...

spankybear

Here's a catalog of parts for the PDP

Most parts are easily available online, I used Mouser. I reconfigured mine to add more fuse spots for auxiliary circuits and a 12v ignition post.
Thanks a ton... Along with mouser and the rabbit hole of a search engine I am finding all the parts I need! I like the fact I can add MAXI fuses! I have got to wonder who makes this stuff. Dill Blox and Littlefuse items are the same...

B-Dog

The colors of the Dill Blox locks matches the stock parts in my truck. Honestly, Littelfuse were the ones that I found first.

Just a word on reconfiguring the blocks, you can get away with removing and inserting a single block (not a double-wide block) in the corner of the entire array if you remove some of the neighboring locks. My advice would be to separate the entire column or row from the PDP assembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks