• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering for the Deuce?

Otter

Hello,
I am looking for some info. Has anyone replaced the armstrong steering in the 2 1/2 ton with the powersteering from a 5 ton? If so what are the differences, fabrication is not an issue, I am mostly looking for real estate issues. I know the air assist Air-O-Matic is available, but I like to go the hard way.
Ideas?
eric :shock:

KaiserM109

m-35tom, I saw the original post and would like to do something similar to my '66 Kaiser-Jeep deuce. You do nice work.

Question: Is there a box that will go inside the frame rails? I have been eyeing a junkyard to and from work with several old civilian trucks and intend to stop by some evening. I am wondering if I can find something usable. It seems to me that something off of an old school bus might work.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have never found a box that was easier to install than the 710. i have done several of these and it is great. remember you need a box with a horizontal shaft

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Power steering for the Deuce?

KaiserM109 said:
Question: Is there a box that will go inside the frame rails? I have been eyeing a junkyard to and from work with several old civilian trucks and intend to stop by some evening. I am wondering if I can find something usable. It seems to me that something off of an old school bus might work.
The very popular Ross Hydrapower HF54 for example? :wink:

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Power steering for the Deuce?

exactly. it would be wonderful to find some of those, but i have only seen pictures, never seen one in person. i suspect they are too old to be in the salvage yards of the US.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Power steering for the Deuce?

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
I repeat my question, what power steering pump do you use with the Ross?
The stock 5ton Multifuel pump works good enough.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Power steering for the Deuce?

98hd said:
m-35tom said:
exactly. it would be wonderful to find some of those, but i have only seen pictures, never seen one in person. i suspect they are too old to be in the salvage yards of the US.
Is this the right one?

http://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.php?qsearch=TRUE&ManufMake=ROSS&Model=3047087&PartID=5510
I doubt it. The HF54 is not for heavy trucks.
3047087 is the Pat.Nr., probably common to all models. (????)
Look for HF54...... Tomorrow I will check on the digits that follow, have half a dozen boxes.
See pic, this is how they came when I bought them, out of some medium duty Ford trucks, as I was told...

G.

Confirmed: 3047087 is just a Pat.No.
The model# you need to look for is HF542996

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, the way you see it installed there is about 5/8" clearance to the nearest point of the MF IP. That's more than with the stock manual steering box.
I will send some pics as soon as I have the engine back in place.

G.

KaiserM109

gringeltaube,
That is a very appealing looking installation. Did it require any cutting, etc on the frame? I can't picture in my head what mine looks like.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KaiserM109 said:
.... Did it require any cutting, etc on the frame? I can't picture in my head what mine looks like.
Yes, some "trimming" on the upper flange is required, as well as a larger hole for the pitman shaft. And that's the reason to discard the stock angled reinforcement plate and bolt on this extra strong piece of steel out of a heavy truck chassis.

G.

Attachments

spicergear

I borrowed one of the above pictures and circled a very specific are of it that notes inportance. On the other PS thread I posted about tapping the box on my big M715 for ram assist. The box I ported didn't really have bosses cast into it for that but this box that gringeltaube has posted does. Wanna not have to beef up your frame or not put added stress on the steering knuckle studs? Then tap your PS box here, and get a 9" ram and weld tabs on the back of the axlehousing and on the tie rod.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, good idea! Specially for extreme uses.
Not sure about the size of an additional ram??? Probably a small one with only 1.25" piston diam. would be sufficient to move even the biggest tires! It would add over 1200 lbs of force at little over 1000psi which is the normal output for the 5ton Multifuel pump.
.... and if you are lucky you find one already with the ports and fittings present. (pic)
Now I know what I can use them for....! :D

As a side note: The cutting (weakening!) of the frame plus reinforcement has to be done anyways to keep enough clearance to the Multifuel's IP. :(

Gerhard

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, is there a surplus of those boxes down there? Anyone found any here in the states?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Kenny, we poor Latins have to travel far north if we want the raisins from the cake...!
A friend of mine gets his stuff (mostly IH parts) from a big place in PA. All I know from him is that these boxes came in mid '80 medium duty Ford trucks (L7000, L8000, etc.) At least the pitman arm has the Ford oval stamped in.
It might be that they are not that easy to find nowadays???
I got a few (+ seal kits) from a guy in L.A., CA. but that was two years ago. I'll e-mail him if he could offer some more or if he knows of a college on the east side to get them.

Good luck!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks