• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering mounting bracket and advise

BRob18E

Hello all.
So I decided to drive my M1083 to Lake Cumberland from Ohio. I had made it 2.5 hours with no issues. Then I started to lose power steering. I pulled off, raised the cab, and low and behold, a bolt holding my power steering pump came out. I bought another bolt, tried bolting it back on, and cracked the bracket that it screws into. I tried and tried to seat the pump, so I figured my last shot was to slowly tightening them and hope it seats. It did not. So.... I had an hour to my land and decided to man handle the wheel. It wasn't to bad on the highway, but a pain going slow. Anyway, about 10 minutes into driving, my wife who was following me says she sees a little smoke. I said, no big deal, it's probably the oil dripping out of the cracked bracket. At this point I'm watching my gauges like a hawk. 30 minutes later, I can see the smoke in my mirrors. Check all gauges. Another 20 minutes, so an hour since the bracket broke, I see the oil pressure starting to drop, I pull over immediately. I thought to myself, if my truck made it an hour on the oil that was in it, then fill it back up and get to my land, I'll fix it then. Needless to say, it lost all oil pressure in 5 minutes. I ended up getting a tow for $750 for 32 miles.

So......

Does anyone know the NSN number to the bracket that the power steering mounts to?

I am aware the power steering pump is powered by the engine oil. However, I didn't think the bracket that the pump mounted to would leak oil since the two lines are going into the pump. So I don't really know what happened. Does anyone have any thoughts?

In conclusion:
Part needed
Thoughts on what is wrong (why it would dump all oil in a quarter mile)

Thank you greatly for your knowledge and help.

If anyone is close to Monticello and can help, boating, friendship and a place to camp with the best views on lake Cumberland is a fair trade. . .

Ronmar

The power steering uses it’s own 10wt hydraulic oil in it’s own small reservoir behind the pump.

Loss of engine oil can be a few things. If the PS pump is not in place you could be leaking out of the rear of the air compressor where the PS pump should be sealing the opening.

At the rear of the compressor where the bottom PS bolt attaches there should be a heavy steel bracket that ties back into the engine block. Without that, you have a very heavy cast iron compressor and hydraulic PS pump, hanging on the aluminum timing case cover. Add in a little driveshaft vibration and You could have cracked the timing case.

The air compressor has a rigid pressure lube pipe from the block that could have cracked with movement and leaked the oil.

above the compressor is the governor. At the rear of the governor is the infamous oil line of death, a hard line that runs out and back like a diving board to a port on the head. Excessive vibration usually from a driveshaft has cracked this line on numerous occasions. Most have been replacing it with a #4 braided stainless line, or have a small hydraulic hose made to fit, just remember the braided line needs at least a 2” bend radius…

I would spray the engine down with degreaser and hose all the oil off, then refill with motor oil and restart and see where the oil is coming from…

Good Luck!

Ronmar

Oh, the PS pump has a shaft with a rectangular tooth across the middle of the end of the shaft, that mates with the compressor crankshaft that has a notch across the middle. If these became separated and rotated, you must completely remove the PS pump, rotate the pump shaft tooth with a wrench to align with the notch on the compressor shaft before you re-assemble them and tighten any hardware. They should just slide together with little to no force required…

Ronmar

Well that pump adapter is toast… this either happened when it got loose, the shafts misaligned and the tab rode up on the edge of the notch forcing the pump back and breaking that adapter assembly, or it wasn’t aligned when you went to replace the missing bolt and bolt compression force broke it when you applied torque.

wonder what the notched and tabbed shaft ends look like? You may just need an adapter, or you may need compressor pump and adapter… was that where the oil came from? It appears that the green support bracket on the lower bolt is installed, which is good…

BRob18E

Oh, it definitely snapped when I was trying to tighten it down. It wasn't seated correctly. And or the shaft ends may be toast which is why it didn't re align. I had lots of stuff taking priority in KY so I didn't have time to troubleshoot shoot it at all.

I truly don't know where the oil is coming from, everything worked fine up until this point, so I am assuming so.

By any chance do you know the NSN number to that bracket?

I know I can probably spend an hour or.so trying to find it, yet someone that knows what they are doing can find it easily. I have a 50 ton and 9 ton excavator sitting on my property and can't afford the time at the current moment. I came home for a day and then back to KY. To much happening. I will dig into it next week, but I am trying to aquire as much information as possible before diving in.

So far I am going to spray it all down, then put oil in and see if that is where it's coming out. If not, locate leak.

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Brian Roberts

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Have a few parts trucks about 70 miles south in Monterey, TN. would have to come take off what parts you need.

coachgeo

sorry to hear of you troubles Neighbor. Not your first rodeo though. Hit me up if you need help.

if you go down to Simp in TN for stuff...... bring back my tires from him??? or simp5782 if you come this way.... bring the tires?

BRob18E

Simp5782.
I am heading back to Monticello late tonight or early AM. I may have to take you up on your offer. I will contact you in the next day or so. I greatly appreciate the help. I am going to take the advice of Ronmar and clean it off. Try to locate the leak. And CoachGeo, let me know if you are really needing tires picked up, and I will take my trailer down for you.
Thanks for all the help!

coachgeo

Simp5782.
..... And CoachGeo, let me know if you are really needing tires picked up, and I will take my trailer down for you.
affirmative on tires needing picked up... if they are in the location you end up meeting Wes Simpson. He has stuff in several places as many vendors do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks