• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prc-77 value

86M10086.2L

So I've been doing some research on military radios, more specifically the PRC-77 radios. I originally never really planned on getting a military radio for my truck. But for reasons unknown to myself I want one so......yeah. Not being terribly radio techno savvy I don't think I'd feel too comfortable piecing this together or trying to do swap meet pickups. So that leaves me with dealers that have "checked" or warranty the radios. The few places I've found are pricing a complete setup i.e. radio, portable antenna, base, vehicle mount, vehicle antenna, handset for about $800. Is that reasonable? Expensive? It's not like you can get this stuff everywhere. I don't want to overpay simply for convenience, but if thats what they cost so be it. Thoughts?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want a manpack radio, or a vehicle mounted radio? To make a PRC-77 into a vehicle mount, you have to add the AM-2060, which is a couple of hundred, to the MT-1029, which are usually not bad, the cables, the antenna, the antenna base (MX-6707) the mounting bracket, and the handset/headset. What you wind up with is a four watt radio. If you go straight to an RT-524 for about 400 from pvt jarhead, you have a 30 watt radio over the same frequencies. BTW, for amateur use only the six meter band is available, so most of the spectrum the radios cover is not legally usable.

86M10086.2L

Well I want the PRC-77 for both. So it can be in the truck or carried if I so choose. I can only imagine that I would use this thing maybe a handful of times a year. Power means little to me. I'm not a HAM radio guy. I just like the idea of fitting my truck with some sort of military radio. But also the idea that it could be removed and carried.

Csm Davis

Okay what would you use it for? Show or what because as was said it won't reach very far, I know because we still use the 25/77 and 524 for communications that don't need to be secure. The 77 will do good to reach two to three miles on most days.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's only for show, you could get an empty case 524 and an empty case PRC-77 with just the handsets and not have to fool with the rest of the cables. With the MT-1029 base, you would have two 'radios' for less than $450. Your call.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks