• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pressurizing the brake system

wbdodgeiv

If one was to pressurize the mc reservoir with system pressure, would this lock the brakes up? I was thinking about hooking a 3way valve to the mc cap to either apply system pressure or vent to atmosphere. Im not super keen on line locks as I have to add several leak points into the high pressure side of the brake system.

Would something like this work to do I need to use a normal line lock?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it won't work.

What are you trying to accomplish?

MICO® Brake Locks are for supplemental parking and are to be used in conjunction with a vehicle's mechanical parking brake. They perform as an operational holding brake only and are not intended to be used for prolonged parking.

Last edited:

wbdodgeiv

My parking brake works fine unless I am on a steep hill... like my driveway. It also slips when working the winch hard. I would like to be able engage an additional brake so I can chock the wheels. I don't want to replace my parking brake, just give it some help. The line lock will do all of this, but I though with the air/oil brakes there might be a way to apply them with the airpac somehow.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a line lock is the only safe way to lock the brakes, and then only safe to a certain extent. you should not use air pressure to engage brakes, you should use lack of pressure as is done on air brake systems. that way if the air fails the brakes will be on. if your hand brake slips, fix it.

also winch operation is at least a 2 men thing, so the operator in the cab can hold foot on brake as well as operate winch, clutch, etc.

tom

Jake0147

If a Mico lock is what you have in mind, I'd have no problem with it for what you describe. We have supplemented a lot of tow trucks over the years with them. They are remarkably trouble free, very intuitive to use once you see the diagram of how they work, they have a bleeder if you need it, or bleed through if you don't need it so they install in about any orientation or location (which IS needed because the back part is a lot bigger than the handle part) the wearable parts come in a kit that takes two minutes to replace. Leak points are a non issue. It's a couple of pipe threads and a couple of double flares. Just like factory fittings, if the workmanship is good, the fitting, joint, and seal will outlast the vehicle without incident. The only weak link is the installation, of which you have the ultimate control to see that it is not a weak link.

They are NOT suitable from day one for long term parking. Which is fine, because neither is the Deuce's hydraulic system. As supplemental short term braking while the vehicle is attended, they will deliver nicely.

The flow is an issue. for the basic single lever single circuit valve, you've got to pick one axle to lock. The oriface size will not support two axles. You can lock the front, and two wheels will lock. You can lock either rear, and four wheels will lock for traction purposes, however the holding power remains that of two brakes, not four. Either option will be more than enough for what you describe. Mico does make larger stuff, but the price skyrockets as soon as you step away from the basic model.

The master cylinder was never intended for high pressure application. If you could introduce application pressure to the reservoir, it MAY be up to the task, but you are asking it to seal the full application pressure (as in a current "pushrod-boosted" automotive system), when it was designed and specified to hold only what you could build unassisted.

System air directly to the reservoir is not the solution to introduce high pressure to the master cylinder. It's probably too wet even with a dryer, and it's 125 pounds per square inch on a good day. The pressure you are looking for is probably closer to 2000 pounds per square inch, give or take a couple of hundred. Any locking that you do via this route will require manipulation on the air side of the brake booster to cause it to apply without a low pressure hydraulic input.

deuceman51

I installed one for a customers truck that they were using as a bucket truck. Worked very well, but very expensive to install. We mounted the lever under the dash below the cold start switch. Definately will give you more winch holding power.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the wreckers use a line lock set up, easy to use, step down on the brake peddle, push and hold the button, release the brake peddle, to unlock, just push down on the brake peddle, works GREAT, holds the 819 on a sloped driveway

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks