• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem with engine jacking

Dsilverline

Hey guys,

On my M1009 I'm trying to replace my motor mounts as they are totally shot and I'm having some issues jacking up the engine.... I've pulled out the motor mount bolts, undone the tranny mount bolts and the exhaust is disconnected (as I'm doing the turbo conversion) but when I jack up with a 4x4 under the oil pan the whole frame lifts with the engine! Have no idea why....I can use a big prybar between the exhaust manifold and the frame and lift one side of the engine but maybe an inch only....Can't seem to be able to get the mounts out that way...

What am I missing? I have no idea why the frame would be lifting as well...

Sidenote - I don't have the Turbo400 in the truck, it was swapped out to a SM465 some time before me, not sure if that would make a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cruzer747

ya tried jumping on the bumper? I mean if nothing is caught up above the tranny near firewall and exhaust is disconnected.... and fan is free from shroud... all I could imagine would be an interference/seize at the mounts somehow? Maybe ratchet strap the frame downward?

Dsilverline

That was one thought that crossed my mind before, maybe the mounts were all seized up somehow.

Dude, good idea - wratchet strapping/chain the frame downward to the axle while jacking up the engine! Gonna try that next

nyoffroad

The SM465 has a pretty tall housing on top for the shifter, are you sure thats not hitting the floor? Second thing I'd check would be bell housing to fire wall and look for engine to frame ground straps. All fairly common and simple but easily overlooked.

swinters

You probably already figured it out and I doubt it's related to your issue but when you get your new mounts, unless someone replaced them while the engine was out, CUCVs were produced with small block mounts. All 6.2s used SBC mounts early on but they went to big block mounts in civilian production. The Army wanted to minimize parts in the system so stayed with SBC mounts throughout production.

Dsilverline

So I went and looked at the tranny housing (which was pretty close) and everything else. Didnt see any real issues so I wratchet strapped the axle to the frame and then I was able to jack up the engine which was nice to see! Ended up stopping where the clutch actuator plate hit the body but it was enough room for the mounts and turbo manifold bolts. Good heads up, I ordered the DIY4X comp motor mounts so I hope there are no issues, if so I'll know what happened there. Thanks guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks