• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper designation- V100 or M706

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was V100 the manufacture designation and XM706 (and variants) was the US Military Designation? I always see the 2 used together but was not sure why.

Thanks.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
V-100 is the Cadillac-Gage model number for the vehicle, which was designed as a private venture.

The US military started using it as an urgently needed non-standard vehicle, initially as the V-100 until they came up with the XM706 type number. The X indicates a non-standardized, or an experimental vehicle (Y means a prototype/development type).

Once the military started ordering them in numbers, they came up with XM706E1 for the turreted version, and XM706E2 for the Air Force parapet style vehicle.
The E after the model number designates it as a development type.

The Army later standardized the XM706E1 as the M706.

The designation V-100 was used by the military for a while in the absence of an M-number, so it had stuck by the time the M706 number came along.
The most common nickname I have heard from those who drove them was "The V". They all refer to them as cars.

Cheers

Last edited:

B3.3T

Rory is completely correct. I might add that the South Vietnamese army used them first and retained the factory "V-100 Commando" name. This is where most US personnel first became aware of the vehicle and the name stuck.

Rickv100

It has been awhile since I posted, actually as with the government it is not that easy. The original V100's were purchased under a special funding program for the troops in Vietnam called ENSURE (Expedited Non Standard Urgently Requested Equipment). This is why they had the X designation, they were never formally tested and adopted in the usual procurement manner. The XM177 Commando rifle is another of those items.

Once they needed parts for the XM706's they ran into a problem. Because they were not formally adopted the parts where not in the US Army supply chain and had to be funded out of the special program budget. Since the money was not there no parts. So the Army changed the designation to M706 to get the parts into the system.

I have copies of the correspondence about the issue if anyone is really interested.

Rick

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been awhile since I posted, actually as with the government it is not that easy. The original V100's were purchased under a special funding program for the troops in Vietnam called ENSURE (Expedited Non Standard Urgently Requested Equipment). This is why they had the X designation, they were never formally tested and adopted in the usual procurement manner. The XM177 Commando rifle is another of those items.

Once they needed parts for the XM706's they ran into a problem. Because they were not formally adopted the parts where not in the US Army supply chain and had to be funded out of the special program budget. Since the money was not there no parts. So the Army changed the designation to M706 to get the parts into the system.

I have copies of the correspondence about the issue if anyone is really interested.

Rick
Sounds not much unlike the Army today!

I'd be curious just from a historical perspective.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks