• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

proper rim width for hummer tires?

bkwudzhom

I have located 16.5 8 lug rims for my M1008. I have a choice of 8 and 10 inches wide. Which will be the proper width and back spacing?

jeepjseries

Rather than start a new thread I figured I would use this one. I got some 16.5 inch rims today that are about 6 inches wide. Will this work with 12.50 inch wide humvee tires?

ODdave

Hmmwv wheels are 8.25 wide, 9.75 wheels are a PITA to mount hmmwv tires on. I am assuming the rims you have are duallies? I have thought about it as well but I feel they are to thin. There are 7 in wide drw wheels out there.

jeepjseries

Wonder if shop would even attempt to put humvee tires on these rims? I know they would be ballooned a bit but I don't care. Guy had a set of wagon rims about 8 inches wide but only had three.:evil:

Matt65

Rather than start a new thread I figured I would use this one. I got some 16.5 inch rims today that are about 6 inches wide. Will this work with 12.50 inch wide humvee tires?
My factory GM wheels are only 6.75" wide. I have been very pleased with this setup for my needs. The HMMWV radials have been impressive at their price.

One thing about the skinny wheels is that with very low tire pressure, less than 10#, the tire deflects (sqats) very little. This makes it impossible to tell the tire is low by visual check particularly on the rear when not loaded. Tire thumper becomes the quick check. One benefit to this is the force maintained to the wheel's bead keeping the tire seated at lower pressure. - A popular topic for 16.5"s with no beadlock.

More details and pics in my signature link.

Last edited:

Bighurt

My factory GM wheels are only 6.75" wide. I have been very pleased with this setup for my needs. The HMMWV radials have been impressive at their price.

One thing about the skinny wheels is that with very low tire pressure, less than 10#, the tire deflects (sqats) very little. This makes it impossible to tell the tire is low by visual check particularly on the rear when not loaded. Tire thumper becomes the quick check. One benefit to this is the force maintained to the wheel's bead keeping the tire seated at lower pressure. - A popular topic for 16.5"s with no beadlock.

More details and pics in my signature link.
I had a the same issue with my 9.75" rims, I think it's just the nature of the sidewall strength compared to the weight of the vehicle. HMMWV's have some weight on them.

steved454

I bought a set of 16.5 x 6.75 for my Humvee tires and they are working great so far. Took them to the local shop and the only trouble I had was the fact the tires had been laying on there side for awhile and it was cold weather. I suggest you keep your tires as warm as possible and let the tires stand up straight for a day or two if is cold outside. Other than that they had no problem mounting and balancing the tires.

jeepjseries

Thank You guys for the input looks like after Christmas I will be grabbing some 37" humvee tires for the rims. I have to trim the fenders a bit but should go well.

Matt65

Well looks like ill try it then. Were they hard to get mounted or balanced?
I actually did not have mine balanced at all. The only notable vibration I get is after the truck is parked for a while. After a few miles the flat spots are gone. I took them to a shop to be mounted. No trouble at all.

Last edited:

Matt65

Have you drove it on the freeway at all or 50 plus M.P.H?
I frequently run 50-60 actual mph (gps verified, spedo not corrected for tire size). I have run as fast as 70 mph for 30 minutes. Anything over 55 mph for very long is rare. No increased vibration at the higher speeds.

To clarify, I run the 37" radials. Not the older 36" HMMWV tires which are known to be difficult or impossible to keep balanced.

Another option that I have read about is putting golf balls, or other internal mass to balance. The dyna beads are another option. I have never used them, but wanted to mention.

DynaBeads

Reverend Evil

I have my 37 hmmwv tires mounted on 16.5 x 12 rims with the dyna bead balance stuff inside (1oz packs) and they ride like my wifes brand new car aside from a little road noise i have had it up to 50 (speedo) gps says 68 and they ride fine the truck is still a 11/4 ton truck so it is not a super nice ride but better than the externaly balanced 315/75s i had on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks