• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PT Boat - Full Throttle

Another Ahab

according to a WWII ship restoration website Ive been known to hang out at, there are only two PT Boats left from the 1942 era.

Plywood built craft arent built to last. Ill bet the spruce goose is also in need of repair..
swbradley1 knows of (2) that are operational in Port Clinton OH, and I have a friend here in town tells me he knows of one in Vancouver (I thought it might be BC but apparently it's WA). That's 3!

The Packard engines are Rolls Royce Merlins, built under licence by Packard. They powered many WW2 fighters and bombers as well as PT boats.
There are a pair of Packards from a PT boat on display in a private collection in central OH. Impressive engines to see and hear.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watched the RC vid, but I HAD to mute it!!!

Searched YouTube for a PT Boat running wide-open (Twin Packard V-12's):
What about the movie - "PT 109"?

On a way off tangent... there was a modified tractor pull tractor in the UK called "Snoopeys' Spitfire" - powered by a Packard V12.. Lovely noise.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Steve.
Nice collection and PT restoration. The engines in the boat didn't appear to be Packards. The photos of the spares are Packards. Just like the pair in Washington Court House.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, the ones they have to use for the ride boat are Man diesels per the Coast Guard. The spares are for the boat they can't give rides on.

I can't remember being that excited about being on a boat before when he said I could go up and walk around and go inside too.

Gun Goober

Why not get a copy of the movie, "They Were Expendable", Robert Montgomery, John Wayne? Lots of PT action with real PT boats and Robert Montgomery was a real PT captain during the war.

One of my favorite movies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks