• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO question

moreorles2

Guys- I did RTFM and cannot even find the part on the drawing. I have installed the PTO on the tranny and noticed that there appears to be a leak from this nipple/stud on the bottom of the PTO after a couple of weeks.
There is no reason to put a drain plug on the PTO so I have no idea what it is or what function it performs. Can someone enlighten me and is there a gasket or oring sealing this to the PTO housing? Thanks----> Les

Piix's attached-(This is a file pix and not my PTO)

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That fitting houses a spring and detent bearing that "clicks into" the cutouts on the shaft #25 when you move the PTO handle. Only thing you can do to stop it from leaking is drain the tranny, take that off (make sure you catch the parts inside, clean it, and RTV it.

While you have it drained, undo the drain plug? (part #16), clean and RTV it also. You'll find after doing both of those things, your drips will stop. (dont ask me how I know)

Tranny takes 80/90 weight oil as per the TM.
Let us know how you make out.

Attachments

moreorles2

Thanks Emmado22. Taking a second look at my figure #12, what you have pointed out is identified as parts #18-19-and 20 that I thought were internal to the PTO.
I'm once again off to NAPA for some fresh RTV...... :)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, just gently unscrew the "cap", and the spring and ball will come out. The spring is under some tension, so just catch it when it comes out. Let it drip for a bit, clean it real good, RTV the capand put it all back together.

With the drain plug, remove it, let it drip, and reinstall with RTV.

That should fix those drips. Why the cap thing was never sealed with a copper gasket or RTV or the like in the first place is beyond me..

Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks