• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 2006 Humvee M1097R1 - Need Help

mccullek

I just purchased the above machine and need some help. I can't seem to find a TM Manual with this designation, can someone point me in the right direction please?

This is my second purchase. My first was an S&S M1078 LMTV, and I have enjoyed restoring, tinkering and driving it, so I now wanted to try the Humvee. Mine is a 2006 M1097R1, but I can't seem to find a manual that matches that. I'm hoping someone can point me to the correct manual for maintenance and repair for this model.

Is there a thread that explains the differences in the models, as I can't seem to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on the serial number, but if it is a 3 speed transmission for the most part you treat it like the M1097A1, and if it's a 4 speed you'll treat it like the M1097A2 when looking for parts.

The M1097R1 trucks were rebuilt with a serial number that doesn't match the regular line of trucks, so that's about as close as you are going to get.
I don't know what it is that makes them special/different from before they were rebuilt that warranted a designation change to "R1" instead of the A1 or A2 they had before rebuild.

mccullek

Then I believe that is a 4 speed truck.
Should be pretty much the same as the M1097A2 for repairs and parts unless they did something really different (and I haven't heard anyone who bought one of these say anything like that)
Great, that points me in the right direction. Thanks for the feedback.

mccullek

Then I believe that is a 4 speed truck.
Should be pretty much the same as the M1097A2 for repairs and parts unless they did something really different (and I haven't heard anyone who bought one of these say anything like that)
I still cannot find a single manual that says it is for a 1097A2 model? Maybe I just don't know enough about them to still understand the numbering. I hate to ask again, but can someone point me to the correct TM for service, maintenance and repairs for this model?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still cannot find a single manual that says it is for a 1097A2 model? Maybe I just don't know enough about them to still understand the numbering. I hate to ask again, but can someone point me to the correct TM for service, maintenance and repairs for this model?
You don’t have a plaque on your doghouse?4D131DBF-1A59-43F3-BBEB-41393D5831AB.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the M1097 trucks (all of them) will be in the first series of HMMWV manuals.
M1097A2 is the same as an M998A2 except it is considered the "heavy" variant.

Here are all the HMMWV manuals for the M998 through M998A2 (the first 3 generations of HMMWV, which is everything that does NOT have the extended nose. The extended nose is for all the turbo trucks ECV/REV series, 4th and 5th gen HMMWVs)

I might be oversimplifying it a little bit as to truck generations, but these are the manuals you need.
When in the work manuals make sure to follow procedures for A2 series trucks.
For parts manual, look for UOC (Usable On Code) "BVY" for parts specific to the M1097A2 series trucks.

Last edited:

mccullek

So the M1097 trucks (all of them) will be in the first series of HMMWV manuals.
M1097A2 is the same as an M998A2 except it is considered the "heavy" variant.

Here are all the HMMWV manuals for the M998 through M998A2 (the first 3 generations of HMMWV, which is everything that does NOT have the extended nose. The extended nose is for all the turbo trucks ECV/REV series, 4th and 5th gen HMMWVs)

I might be oversimplifying it a little bit as to truck generations, but these are the manuals you need.
When in the work manuals make sure to follow procedures for A2 series trucks.
For parts manual, look for UOC (Usable On Code) "BVY" for parts specific to the M1097A2 series trucks.
This is great. Thanks so much for your help!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was looking back over some other pages, and saw where the serial numbers for M1097R1 are broken down to what transmission they have.

Your serial number is outside of the ranges listed on that page, so you will need to verify if it is actually a 4 speed or if it's a 3 speed transmission.
If it IS a 3 speed, treat it like an M1097A1 for parts instead of the M1097A2. The UOC will also be different (can be found a little after the table of contents in the parts manual)
The manuals are all still the same.

If your unit has the M1097R1 HMMWV, NSN 2320-01-346-9317, with a retrofitted engine, check the serial number before ordering a new transmission for the vehicle.

• M1097R1 HMMWVs with serial numbers between 500000 and 549000 require the 3L80 transmission
  • Those with serial numbers between 570000 and 599000 need the 4L80E/4L85E transmission.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious if it is a 4 speed truck, easy enough, does it have a park position?
Then where did it come from?
All the ones I have seen so far coming out of Texas are three speeds, although I have not looked lately, would be nice if they got down to the "A2s" down here..

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then treat it as an A1, but the transfer case is probably the same as an R2, they used a "de-tuned" 6.5L (most I have seen are GEP, that is good!) and I assume the NP218 transfer case was no longer available so it looks like all of them got the NP242.
All of the engine accessories, belts etc are A1.

INFChief

I just picked up a M1097R1 and am glad I found this thread!
Any other significant differences between the R1, A1, and A2? I have looked up parts using the UOC of AVY because it seemed to match my vehicle. I’ll take a closer look at the BVY UOC though.
Typically there would be a sticker on the valve cover indicating 6.2 if it were a 6.2. How can I quickly tell (make sure) it’s a 6.5?

mccullek

After cleaning up the inside of my 1097R1, I finally found a plate that shows the correct manuals, and it does appear that I should be treating mine as an A1. It seems someone tore the plate off somehow during use, and it was in the floor under a lot of junk and trash. It looks like my unit sat from early 2019 until I bought it at auction in late 2022, so it just sat unused and open without doors for at least 3 years.

It looks rough, but mechanically, it seems to be in great shape. The main problem with mine was there was no power steering. The gear box was flowing fluid like an open flood gate, so I'm assuming that and the overall rough shape of it sent it to the auction. After putting batteries in it and rebuilding the steering gear box, it seems to run and drive great. It needs a lot of small details, but nothing major. Once I get everything right on it, I will work on it cosmetically and add a paint job. While the two-door soft top doesn't leak, it's old and not in great shape and will need to be replaced and I had to find two good front doors for it.

As a side note, the oil looks like brand new in my engine. Usually even after changing oil in a diesel, the oil will be black very quickly. Not mine, it is still amber colored and must have been changed right before it was sent to auction. I don't think this motor has but a few thousand miles on it to be honest. I don't really understand all of the A and R designations, but does R1 indicate a "rebuild" maybe? Maybe my motor is new as it has no leaks or drips on it anywhere and that oil still looks brand new in it, although I haven't driven it much yet. I was going to do an oil change and probably still will, but the oil is like new in it. The odometer shows around 2300 miles and it works.

I noticed one of my plates says the truck is a "heavy variant." Can someone tell me what that means?

UPDATE: After reading some more, I guess the heavy variant means it has a beefed-up suspension to carry more weight. If there is something else in addition to that, please let me know.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After cleaning up the inside of my 1097R1, I finally found a plate that shows the correct manuals, and it does appear that I should be treating mine as an A1. It seems someone tore the plate off somehow during use, and it was in the floor under a lot of junk and trash. It looks like my unit sat from early 2019 until I bought it at auction in late 2022, so it just sat unused and open without doors for at least 3 years.

It looks rough, but mechanically, it seems to be in great shape. The main problem with mine was there was no power steering. The gear box was flowing fluid like an open flood gate, so I'm assuming that and the overall rough shape of it sent it to the auction. After putting batteries in it and rebuilding the steering gear box, it seems to run and drive great. It needs a lot of small details, but nothing major. Once I get everything right on it, I will work on it cosmetically and add a paint job. While the two-door soft top doesn't leak, it's old and not in great shape and will need to be replaced and I had to find two good front doors for it.

As a side note, the oil looks like brand new in my engine. Usually even after changing oil in a diesel, the oil will be black very quickly. Not mine, it is still amber colored and must have been changed right before it was sent to auction. I don't think this motor has but a few thousand miles on it to be honest. I don't really understand all of the A and R designations, but does R1 indicate a "rebuild" maybe? Maybe my motor is new as it has no leaks or drips on it anywhere and that oil still looks brand new in it, although I haven't driven it much yet. I was going to do an oil change and probably still will, but the oil is like new in it. The odometer shows around 2300 miles and it works.

I noticed one of my plates says the truck is a "heavy variant." Can someone tell me what that means?
Heavy Variant means that it was up armored for the "sandbox" action.
Could have also been for carrying a comm shelter or similar.

Got any pictures?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks