• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quest for Switches for my M1088 - PTO and Winch

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have the electric PTO. I have the hydraulic winch and tank. Going to mount them on my M1088.

I presume that the switches mount in the spot below the "gonna fall over sideways" guage. I also ASSuME that the winch switch will be spring loaded (to the center) and up or down will be in or out. Hoping that the PTO switch will be lighted when it is turned on?

Anybody have a source for the switches? The person I got the winch from had already disposed of the cab for the truck the parts came from. I figure that block of space with all the knockouts would be a perfect spot for those switches... AND, if anybody has pictures of their controls - I would appreciate the chance to see how it comes from the factory.

M1088 Switches.jpg

Also on a quest to get the cheezy plastic directional vents for the heater... I am guessing a boot took mine out when something "urgent" happened around the truck.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking for "a" switch or "the" switch? I went through a similar quest to find some sort of switches to put in there as well. This post shows what I ended up with:

This google search should get you close, but be careful to read the specs and make sure what you select is 22 x 44 mm or 1.74 x .87 inch. There were a few times when I thought I had a great deal on the right switch but it was not quite the right size.

They were all over the place from a price perspective. I wasn't looking for anything more than an on-off switch, although I did get 2 or 3 on-off-on in case I thought of something different.

Hope that points you in the right direction... Happy hunting!

Chris

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you looking for "a" switch or "the" switch? I went through a similar quest to find some sort of switches to put in there as well. This post shows what I ended up with:

This google search should get you close, but be careful to read the specs and make sure what you select is 22 x 44 mm or 1.74 x .87 inch. There were a few times when I thought I had a great deal on the right switch but it was not quite the right size.

They were all over the place from a price perspective. I wasn't looking for anything more than an on-off switch, although I did get 2 or 3 on-off-on in case I thought of something different.

Hope that points you in the right direction... Happy hunting!

Chris
Thanks Chris!

I was hoping for "The" switches, but I am resigned to the fact that they would most likely be $50 or more each. It appears to me that the link you sent will get the job done and I can fill all those empty slots for the same money as one would cost otherwise ;-)

I think I definitely NEED a spring loaded on-off-on to keep stupid stuff from happening. Finger on the button to wind. Finger on the button to unwind. That seems like the best plan in my brain anyhow...

McMaster-Carr seems to have similar pricing, but I need to get out there and measure the hole to know for sure.

Tim

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the electric PTO. I have the hydraulic winch and tank. Going to mount them on my M1088.

I presume that the switches mount in the spot below the "gonna fall over sideways" guage. I also ASSuME that the winch switch will be spring loaded (to the center) and up or down will be in or out. Hoping that the PTO switch will be lighted when it is turned on?

Anybody have a source for the switches? The person I got the winch from had already disposed of the cab for the truck the parts came from. I figure that block of space with all the knockouts would be a perfect spot for those switches... AND, if anybody has pictures of their controls - I would appreciate the chance to see how it comes from the factory.

View attachment 820501

Also on a quest to get the cheezy plastic directional vents for the heater... I am guessing a boot took mine out when something "urgent" happened around the truck.

If you ever run across another one of those level o 's on your dash let me know i will buy it from you. And i will look out for you a vent. And i would get a good rocker switch but the solenoid that it operates will take the brunt of the work off of the switch so dont go cheap there .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you ever run across another one of those level o 's on your dash let me know i will buy it from you. And i will look out for you a vent. And i would get a good rocker switch but the solenoid that it operates will take the brunt of the work off of the switch so dont go cheap there .
Agreed! I would rather overbuild electrical than "let out the smoke" on something that isn't used often - but really needs to work when the situation arrises!

The good part on my "parts deal" was that the solenoids for the "electric on" PTO and the winch were left in place. I got the entire frame minus the axles and other running gear and fuel tank. I have done no digging but it might be a M1078. Eventually I will have a frame and a set of front and rear springs that will need a new home.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, with a little digging I found what the "factory" switches for the PTO and Self-Recovery Winch are supposed to look like (picture below). Apparently member Derrickl112 installed one on his truck back in 2015.

SWITCHES.jpg

coachgeo

So, with a little digging I found what the "factory" switches for the PTO and Self-Recovery Winch are supposed to look like (picture below). Apparently member Derrickl112 installed one on his truck back in 2015.

View attachment 820666
Might matter if those switches are in an A0 or A1. Maybe a difference between two cause the A1 is more automated. I'm guessing above is A1 switches judging by other switches there

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Might matter if those switches are in an A0 or A1. Maybe a difference between two cause the A1 is more automated. I'm guessing above is A1 switches judging by other switches there
Believe it or not - for once it worked in my favor. My truck happens to be an a1

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks SausageGuy ! That definitely looks like the factory stuff for sure. I talked to the guy I got my salvage frame & winch from. He is pretty sure that he has the switches in a box. Hopefully I will see them in a few days.

I downloaded the catalog and will give it a thorough investigation tonight because there are some additional lights that need switches as well.

I managed to get some help from an above average college student - who wanted to earn a few bucks. He got the majority of the bolts loose and maybe if it dries out tomorrow, we can forklift the parts down off the trailer. This young man actually gives me hope that the next generation isn't nearly as awful as they seem. Of course his dad and mom have made him walk a thin line for a lot of years. It shows in every thing he says or does!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
38% of Millennial dads don't own a screwdriver. All hope is lost, haha. https://www.alarm.com/blog/DIYDads
He showed up with a small toolbox of Craftsman tools (older, real Sears Craftsman). He brought a half inch brushless impact wrench and impact sockets. Ultimately when he got to the larger bolts - he needed things he didn't have - but that was expected. Another thing that impressed me was that he wiped the tools down before returning them to me. :cool:

Definitely owns more than just a screwdriver. Apparently he and his dad work on jeeps and mud toys together. Maybe his dad is exceptional too.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He showed up with a small toolbox of Craftsman tools (older, real Sears Craftsman). He brought a half inch brushless impact wrench and impact sockets. Ultimately when he got to the larger bolts - he needed things he didn't have - but that was expected. Another thing that impressed me was that he wiped the tools down before returning them to me. :cool:

Definitely owns more than just a screwdriver. Apparently he and his dad work on jeeps and mud toys together. Maybe his dad is exceptional too.
That's awesome. I have a few similar young kids that work for me, but they are very hard to find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks