• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for bobbed deuce owners using the original box?

Larch

Which part of the box did you cut and shorten (front, middle or rear)and why? Any advantage over the other options? Thanks!

Larch

I think I've seen the box cut in different places, and was looking for advantages and/or disadvantages of cutting it in different locations. I realize the frame needs to be cut at the rear. Thanks

stumps

Box? If you mean bed, most seem to discard the deuce bed, and replace it with a M105 trailer bed.

-Chuck

Larch

I would like to use the original box/bed, I know there are quite a few people here that have used the original box/bed and was asking where they cut theirs and why?

UpstateNYer

Which part of the box did you cut and shorten (front, middle or rear)and why? Any advantage over the other options? Thanks!
Trackiron cut his at the rea, below is a link with pics:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/44300-yet-another-bobbed-duece.html

After looking at my bed this evening, I think I will be doing the same. Looks like you could remove the spotwelds on the rear stake pockets, remove the gate hardware....cut the sides leaving the bed floor to trim after you have tacked most of it back together. This way I think will give it a factory look, rather than butt welding a bunch of seams.

This will eliminate the need to move the bed mounts on the frame also.

Last edited:

stumps

Bearing in mind that I am not a big fan of bobbed deuces...

If I were to cut the bed, I would do it with the thought in mind of reducing the number of welds, and the number of brackets to move.

I would probably cut it just forward of the rear bed mounting brackets, and remove a chunk of the middle. Then I would butt weld up the seams, and grind them flat. You would never know I had been there when I was done.

Be mindful of the side braces, as you want to keep them evenly spaced.

-Chuck

butter551

i bought my deuce cut already. but the guy i bought it from cut out the middle section and put it back together. seemed to work pretty well.

Trackiron

I did another bobber - this time I cut the front of the bed off - took out 34" of the bed and welded the front of the bed back on. This was a lot less work on the bed but the bed mount positions had to be adjusted. Fixed with some angle iron. ..

I will add pics later.

Bottom line(my opinion) - Cut beds are WAAAAY better than trailer beds.:grd:

nk14zp

I did another bobber - this time I cut the front of the bed off - took out 34" of the bed and welded the front of the bed back on. This was a lot less work on the bed but the bed mount positions had to be adjusted. Fixed with some angle iron. ..

I will add pics later.

Bottom line(my opinion) - Cut beds are WAAAAY better than trailer beds.:grd:
I agree with cut beds looking better.

USArmyMedic07

I put 16.00R20's on my bobber and didnt want to try to use a trailer bed. We cut the back section off the bed, removed the steel on the back, shortened the tail gate so that I could see cars behind me and then just fabbed up new latches to hold the gate shut. I don't have any pictures, but it looks pretty good after paint and is functional, looks almost like it was made that way. Mine is the drop side bed too, and it still wasnt too difficult.

USE A TORCH TO CUT THE BED!!! Cutting wheels on a grinder are a pain in the butt and dangerous if not used properly, and even still dangerous then.

Good Luck!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut 36" off the rear of my bed just before the post with the tailgate chains on it. Used a sawsall and a cutting wheel with not problem. Welded the tail piece back on and the bed installed using the original mounts with no problem.

Trackiron

Yeah - Better have a lot of time, face shield, and wheels available if your going to do it with abrasive cutoff. Sawzall gets in a bind too much... SOme the the structure is 1/4" thick in there.

Tip for those who don't know or havent done this yet. If your going to use a flame to cut, for a better/straighter cut - tack a piece of 1" angle as long as your cut offest from your cut line by 1/2 the diameter of your cutting head(torch or plasma cutter). You can then slide your torch head along the guide and get a pretty straight cut - depends how straight YOU hold the torch. After you make your cuts - just knock your tacked angle off with a hammer.

Straighter the cut - less fitting, welding, and screwing around = nice looking work.

Keep the heat out of the bed when cutting as much as possible, you bed sheetmetal will still be flat when you are done.;)

I have a drop side bed and had Idaho Motor Pool bob mine. They cut off the tailgate and adjacent posts, shortened the rear of the bed and welded the tailgate back on. Works just fine.

ALA2

It looks to me that mine was cut in half than equal partsof bolth sides
tie down rings were centerd over the wheel and all welded back together
have fun ALA2

ODw/envy

NO NO NO. You don't want to try messing with the "C" model bed. It is very complicated and will likely lead to the end of civilization as we know it.

A better approach would be to trade me for my standard bed (I'll even set it up for you) and save yourself the hassle.

BTW not a real fan of the cut-ups but it increases the resale of mine by 2cents every time someone does one. So keep cuttin em up boys.

Also, The original poster has probably long sense cut-up and gotten tired of that truck and sold it. But I have been known to revive an old post myself from time to time. [thumbzup]

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks