• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question: Free wheeling hubs on WC54's

peolini

Hi all of you all knowing folks out there.
I have seen many of surviving WC54 ambulances with free wheeling front hubs, but I have never seen one in war time pictures.
Does anybody know whether they were available during WW2?

Thank you in advance,

Dennis

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No they were not used during the war.
If you want to have free hubs and still have the "correct" look get an extra set and have the splines machined out. I have have done the same with a deuce that spent most of it's time on road. Even gives you a little better gas mileage.

svaasand

I have a set of goverment issue dodge free wheeling hubs, they were date marked early 1950's. Don't think they were available during WWII.
They look like the normal hubs, but with a ball bearing instead of splines. Not possible to engage the front wheel drive with them installed, so they give permanent 4x2. Of course it is a quick job to reinstall the original splined hubs, if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks