• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions from a new Deuce owner

MDSA

I bought my Deuce about a month ago from a retired gentleman who oibviously took good care of it, but I have a few questions.

Any suggestions on winterizing, other than antifreeze? I'm good there.

Also, I read somewhere that you can run air tools off the Deuce. If so, how and where?

LAstly, my front winch control will not disengage. I tried using a rubber mallet while feeding cable out, but no luck.

Thanx for any suggestions.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
air tools...
I have a airline quick disconnect added to the line under the dash, and an adapter for the emergency side gladhand.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Get some diesel fuel conditioner for cold weather to prevent gelling. Also, it is a good idea to drain the tank to remove residual water and prevent freeze ups. I would also put a bit (maybe a cup) of wood alcohol in the air system and cycle the brakes a couple of times to help prevent air line freeze ups.

Of course if you aren't planning on driving it till the spring thaw, ignore what I wrote.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the winch handle, there is a little detent ball in the handle the rusts stuck. So if the handle was left engaged, and rained on enough, it would stick. I had one stuck in the disengaged postion, soaked it with penetrating oil, and it came loose with a mallet. After working the handle back and forth, didn't have any more problems.

spicergear

Another thing that can happen is the in-out clutch can stick to the shaft if it's been in one position for a long time. Penetrating oil and time should loosen it.

acetomatoco

I have the pix in front of me... both in my mind and of course on the truck...however we all have them in the manuals...kwitcherbellyachin....Happy Hallowe'en

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
You did not specify what type of truck you have. M34/35 and M135/M211 take different types of antifreeze than the M35A1 and M35A2.

Make darn sure you drain your airtanks daily.

As an intermediate step prior to resolving the winch issue, I'd strongly suggest removing the shear pin. Depending on adjustment, it can take only the slightest bump of the PTO lever to engage the winch - and I can state for a fact the bumper will bend before the pin will shear.

Regards,
David Doyle

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the antifreeze, some have suggested the anti-cavitation additive. Memphis equipment advised me it is not necessary because the LDT deuce engine uses dry cylinder liners. also, with the in-tank pump running but the engine stopped, be sure to drain the primary fuel filter. for a bit, and see that there's no water in it.

MasterChief

Question on winterizing:

I have heard of adding alchohol to air system.
1968 M35A2 Multifuel.
EXACTLY where do you add the alchohol?

( I drain airtanks EVERY time I shut truck down)

THANK YOU!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks