• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on the M998 Hmmwv Humvee

PatriotRanchFL

I just purchased a 1987 M998 Hmmwv Humvee and I need some help finding parts and have some questions.
I am looking for a NEW Steering Gear Box. Anyone know the best place to find one and the correct part number for the M998?
I am looking for NEW wind shield wipers and half doors or tube style doors for the summer time. Anyone know the best and cheapest place to find these items?
I was thinking about putting AC into the vehicle. What would be the best and cheapest way to get that done?
I was thinking about putting a Turbo on the 6.2L engine. Has anyone done this yet to theirs and how did it turn out if you did?

Thank you for any help provided.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. First might I point out nopics

1) This sitehas a load of site sponsors.
2) GM part. Search this forum for tthe PN. Escapes me at the moment. Go NEW not used.
3) Search my thread on windshield wiper conversion using ansco 12" blades to make military units into cheap civilian units.
4) Half doors and A/C.... Did I miss something? ( That being said... RestoMod is a site sponsor and has A/C options.)
5) There is a new site sponsor with a 4K turbo option for the 6.2. Looks great. Their add pops up a lot on the sides and top of the webpages, or you can go to the threads regarding site sponsors and the wares they have for sale.
6) A word of advice... YOU MUST purchase the Blue Hummer locking spindle nuts for your rig to ensure the spindles/axles/wheels don't just fall off.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, you should go over to the TM section and download the manuals. The ones with -24P at the end are the parts manuals, and all the parts you need are listed there with part number and NSN.

Many site sponsors, and AM General set up a parts website last year to sell directly to the public, so many parts can be found there.

Windshield wipers, as Tobash said, are easy. Buy a cheap set, and drill the rivet out in the center of them, then put a small bolt through, and done. Sometimes the existing bolts are long enough, sometimes you need a slightly longer one.

For Aircon there are RedDot aftermarket kits out there. Doing it yourself if you have the skills will be the cheapest option, but the evaporator inside the cab and the condenser outside the truck take up a LOT of space.

As for installing a turbo, the cheapest option is to find an old van with a 6.2 turbo setup (has to be a van, the pickup uses a setup that won't fit in the HMMWV). Any aftermarket kit to install a turbo I have seen costs about the same as buying a pulled powerplant (commonly it's the engine, transmission, and transfer case still attached to some frame rail sections that were torched out of the scrapped truck)

Since yours is an early truck the Blue Hummer locking spindle nuts are a very good idea. They changed the design for the spindle nut locks later on, but the Blue Hummer ones are still far superior to them.

Lothar

I have a friend out of North Carolina that makes exact replicas of the special forces half doors. He sells them on feebay but if you call him directly you will get a better price. And I doubt you will find a better deal or better quality. I have 2 rear halfdoors from him and they are of excellent quality. Don't want to post his number here but if you DM me, I will pass it on.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use YJ (87-95) wiper arms and 11" universal blades beats the crap out of the stock ones and you can get blades just about anywhere, Plug and Play
wiper arm.png
wiper blade.jpg

Last edited:

Jsmith1529

I use YJ (87-95) wiper arms and 11" universal blades beats the crap out of the stock ones and you can get blades just about anywhere, Plug and Play
View attachment 832870
View attachment 832871
Speaking of wiper blades, I lost an arm on the passenger side and I bought 2 replacements. For the life of me, I can't get the other one off or get the lost one on. What is the deal with those?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

kzeyus

Rock auto sells the LARES 11430 steering gear for about $400. Just put one on my 86 M998 recently. They seem to go out of stock quickly.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of wiper blades, I lost an arm on the passenger side and I bought 2 replacements. For the life of me, I can't get the other one off or get the lost one on. What is the deal with those?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Carefully (gently) pry off the arm opposite of the arm itself, make sure you are prying on the arm itself and not the knurled shaft, it will come off very easily, to install it place it in the the position (angle) you want it starting with the same side you pry on and simply overcome the spring pressure that is making it "cocked" untill it lines up with the shaft and it will simply press on
IMG_20210427_131949182.jpg

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My technique for removing the wiper arms is to use a paint lid removal tool (usually free at your favorite big box store). It allows you to disengage the clip underneath while pulling the wiper arm off with the free hand. It's ambidextrous but only comes in one finish.
- HoveringHMMWV

IMG_7353.JPG

Lothar

View attachment 832870
View attachment 832871
Thanks Mogman, just ordered a set. Recently sent back a pos set from feebay claiming to be a HMMWV wiper upgrade. Pure junk, was an arm with the end pop riveted on, painted black, and the blade was too big. It wiped 1.5 inches below the glass.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mogman, just ordered a set. Recently sent back a pos set from feebay claiming to be a HMMWV wiper upgrade. Pure junk, was an arm with the end pop riveted on, painted black, and the blade was too big. It wiped 1.5 inches below the glass.
Save your money!

Read the link below.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Save your money!

Read the link below.

Not sure I would "jury rig" a safety item like a wiper arm. at least not when there are factory components that will do the job and are cheap.
I just picked up a set of good used factory arms for #2 for under $20.00 shipped, got here a couple days ago and are in great shape

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure I would "jury rig" a safety item like a wiper arm. at least not when there are factory components that will do the job and are cheap.
I just picked up a set of good used factory arms for #2 for under $20.00 shipped, got here a couple days ago and are in great shape
No Jury-rigging, jerry-building, jerry-rigging about it. There are OEM Factory arms that are built to accept this plastic piece so cutting the HMMWV wiper arm to size is not doing any harm. As far as a safety item... even in snow and ice I doubt there is much pressure against this unit. Mine works fine in the elements.

MOG, I always appreciate your thoughts and feedback BUT the modification I described, at least in my hands, is fast and easy and cheap and does not sacrifice safety (as you seem to imply).

Using a civilian Jeep item not meant for HMMWV is in my mind potentially a safety issue. At least one Steel Soldiers member has posted that the Jeep wiper arms do not engage the HMMWV wiper post firmly and securely, making the Jeep wiper arm a hit and miss option.

Last edited:

Lothar

Well I have a HMMWV question or two and I feel like another thread is unnecessary. Really not trying to take over this thread but perhaps it could be used further. If I'm out of line, please delete. Today I noticed a leak from a rear geared hub. Looking closer the front bottom bolt in this picture is stripped out. Would someone please tell me which TM I should look to for this part of the truck? I'm not currently at my house so without my computer, I can't download a pile of TMs to search through so I can order parts. My second question is will I be ok installing a helicoil or will I have to replace the whole thing. Thanks in advance for any help offered.20210430_073639.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have a HMMWV question or two and I feel like another thread is unnecessary. Really not trying to take over this thread but perhaps it could be used further. If I'm out of line, please delete. Today I noticed a leak from a rear geared hub. Looking closer the front bottom bolt in this picture is stripped out. Would someone please tell me which TM I should look to for this part of the truck? I'm not currently at my house so without my computer, I can't download a pile of TMs to search through so I can order parts. My second question is will I be ok installing a helicoil or will I have to replace the whole thing. Thanks in advance for any help offered.View attachment 833237
helicoil should be fine for this application, as long as it is installed properly.

parts manual will be the ones with -24P as the last few digits. the -24P-1 manual has the hubs in it.

There is no gasket for this, use either Anaerobic gasket maker or RTV made for gear oil, as regular RTV can break down over time when exposed to gear oil (different additives than motor oil)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I was looking at the bolts too and can't tell that they are stripped out. Wasn't real clear you tried to wrench on it. Anything is possible... even stripped out threads. Superman and a long wrench, I guess. Another guess from the looks of this is the hub seal is shot, spun some of the gear oil all over the place and pooled up on the bolts. How much oil is in the hub?

If lucky might just be the bolt.

Kinda hard to leak up, and my free guess could be a big screw up, CAMO

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to sound rude..:

You sure you’re using the correct size bolt to close the unit?

Lothar

Big thanks to Coug and Millcommoguy. Today I took the hub off, installed a helicoil and a new input shaft seal. Everything went well and I was surprised how easy it all was. Your guidance helped tremendously. Thanks again fellas.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use a blue hummer lock but to prevent catastrophic loss of spindle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks