• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator cap pressure

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can not run my truck for a week open radiator cap and it's still under a lot of pressure? Is this a normal

Thank you,

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I can not run my truck for a week open radiator cap and it's still under a lot of pressure? Is this a normal

Thank you,
Yes. I have seen trucks that have sat on forest service lots for awhile and they still have coolant pressure when the owner checks em at arrival.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have excessive pressure in your cooling system, that is a bad sign. Need to check oil for water? Possible head gasket(s) cracked head or block, liner.
Nothing good.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it doesn't seem excessive it just seems like I wouldn't expect to have pressure. like on other vehicles after overnight not having pressure. wear this after a week still has pressure.

Thank you,

74M35A2

I think a lot of them do this, have seen it written here before. Mine does it also. I would not think anything of it.

lindsey97

Check for shutterstat failure.

A failed shuttersat allows air pressure from the on board air system to leak into your cooling system thru the bad shutterstat and force the coolant out of the overflow tank.

You will swear it is a bad head gasket. Had this happen on one of my M923, it puked coolant with the cap on going down the road. Replaced the cap, same symptom. Replaced the shutterstat with a new one and problem resolved. I also noticed the fan staying engaged longer right before the coolant loss began.

I have read that a shutterstat can be rebuilt, but I haven't tried yet. Supposed to be some grease, and a couple O-rings.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thermostat housing. Has a air line from the treadle valve and a line going to the fan clutch.

best way to test if its a stutterstat puking air across is air bubbled in the overflow tank while its running with the fan clutch on or off. Kinda hard to do the on unless you get it quite hot. Or another way to test is after driving it hard getting the fan clutch to come on several times. Park it. and dump the air on all your tank drains leaving the truck empty of air. wait 24 to 48 hours and pop the radiator cap if it still has pressure then you know its not a stutterstat.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks