• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radio install wiring

dmilkman589

im installing a fm/am radio and i wanted to know where too plug in the ignition wire for the radio. i want it too work like factory settings so the radio works while key is in acc mode and while the truck is running. but cuts power when trucks off. where does that tap in?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the IGN terminal on the fuse block for the power wire. Is there also a wire that needs to be HOT all the time?

Attachments

CplJones

I'm looking to do the same thing here in a while. I was gonna just start tracing wires from under hood and volt testing. So that IGN in the fuse box will only be hot when key on? There will need to be a constant hot to maintain presets. The "switched" hot just acts as a switch to turn radio on and off from the ignition

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking to do the same thing here in a while. I was gonna just start tracing wires from under hood and volt testing. So that IGN in the fuse box will only be hot when key on? There will need to be a constant hot to maintain presets. The "switched" hot just acts as a switch to turn radio on and off from the ignition
Yes, you will need the terminal marked Bat or 12+ for your presets. If using an older radio such as one that was OEM for that year, it would not need the constant HOT.
You colud also run a new fused wire directly from the POS side of the front battery for your radio and other 12 V accessories you may want to add.

K9Vic

Speaking of radios, anyone know anything about this radio? Seems like it would be a good radio to get as I rarely ever listen to broadcast radio and it has USB/SD for MP3 playback. It would also fit the factory mount without hacking up the original dash frame to install it. I am thinking about getting one to put in my dash. It is only 2 channel, but I only plan to run front speakers, but it has a preamp out so you can add more with an amp.

Pyle - PLR14MPF - In-Dash AM/FM-MPX MP3 Shaft Style Dual Knob Radio w/USB/SD Card

Anubis8472

Note that unless you have changed your ingnition cylinder there is no ACC position. Only Off/Run/Start.

I wired my radio in the the IGN feed for the switched wire and the 12v feed for constant. After a couple days I decided to wire the switched side into a toggle switch so I could turn on the tunes with the truck off.

If you want to get creative you could run the switched feed from the IGN terminal to your 'switched' wire and a second constant 12v feed to it through a toggle.
Allowing it to function with the ignition with the toggle off, and always with the toggle on.
I don't think there would be any issues, but I would put a diode on the IGN feed wire just to be safe.

Just don't forget to put a fuse on it.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note that unless you have changed your ingnition cylinder there is no ACC position. Only Off/Run/Start.
Ahh yes, forgot about that. I wired mine constant hot and just remove the faceplate when not driving.

Always fuse your wiring!! Otherwise your next thread may be: "HELP, MY CUCV IS ON FIRE IN MY DRIVEWAY"

mistaken1

Turning the key to "run" without running the truck MAY damage glow plugs.

If the truck is cold enough to cycle the glow plugs leaving the key in the "run" position (without the engine running) can damage the glow plugs according to the TM.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of radios, anyone know anything about this radio? Seems like it would be a good radio to get as I rarely ever listen to broadcast radio and it has USB/SD for MP3 playback. It would also fit the factory mount without hacking up the original dash frame to install it. I am thinking about getting one to put in my dash. It is only 2 channel, but I only plan to run front speakers, but it has a preamp out so you can add more with an amp.

Pyle - PLR14MPF - In-Dash AM/FM-MPX MP3 Shaft Style Dual Knob Radio w/USB/SD Card

Good looking radio but reviews are not positive:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLR14MPF...ref=cm_cr_pr_fltrmsg?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

CplJones

From my experience from about 20 years ago when I really was into car stereos, Pyle brand radios tended to be the ones you got at those electronic shows at the fair grounds. Not the best quality. I was hoping to find two shaft style radio so I wouldn't have to do any cutting but unless you wanna spend near $200 for one the choices are limited. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks