• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radioactive Deuce?

SEAFIRE

Some of our firefighters recently hauled an old parted out M211 to the scrapyard. ( We used to have a M211 & a M135 as parts trucks for our since retired M211 based brush fire truck )

Well, seems the truck set off the radiation alarms at the scrapyard scale, the yard was shutdown, ppl were called in, etc, a big mess. :confused: Turns out it was the dash/gauges.

I've seen on here that some of the M35 series had radioactive gauges, but I had no idea the older trucks did, and enough to set off meters and such?

The guys got worried and asked me about our two current 1968 M35A2's, we got both of them in 2004, do we need to check out the gauges? Sometimes we spend upwards of 12-24 hours running these trucks at large grass/brush fires.

The radiation is from the gage faces. There was a hold on deuces late last year because of this. Here's a link.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/17489-low-level-radiation-deuces.html

radioactive paint was used on clock faces and wrist watches, basically anything people wanted to glow in the dark, in the 50's and 60's.

My deuce is a 1966, and it didn't have the radioactive gauges, and I haven't heard of anybody picking up their vehicle with the gauges gone. Maybe someone has and will chime in on this.

Last edited:

WPNS421

You have what is called low level radiation and as stated they used this on everything that needed to glow in the dark. Last week I read that a guy was crossing the border on his motorcycle when he set off the radiation alarm at BCP. They sent him to a special area and after questioning they found out he'd had a radioactive medical procedure a couple week prior. This satisfied BCP that he was HOT and not the bike. Because of the threat of dirty bombs the radiation sensors in scrap yards and border crossings are much more sensitive and will detect minute amounts. I spent 26 years in the military near these types of gauges and watches etc and I don;t glow in the dark or have any medical issues,
From my experience as a volunteer fireman you are exposed to so many other dangers this should be the last of your worries.
The one point here, if you are crossing the border to reenter the US with your MV don;t be surprised if you set off an alarm/ Tell them quick it comes from the dash cluster.

greenjeepster

The guys got worried and asked me about our two current 1968 M35A2's, we got both of them in 2004, do we need to check out the gauges? Sometimes we spend upwards of 12-24 hours running these trucks at large grass/brush fires.
You can check the gauges with a Geiger counter and just replace them if they show a reading. The level really isn't enough to worry about, but if it makes them feel better.

TIGERFANS2

radiation is the gift that keeps on giving, the only safe, prudent way to handle your situation is for a volunteer from the volunteer fire dept. to take the vehicles away for safe storage.:grd:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I haven't heard of anybody picking up their vehicle with the gauges gone. Maybe someone has and will chime in on this.
There is currently a truck on our least favorite auction site with writing on the driver's window something to the effect of "remove gauges" and the air pressure gauge and the speedo have been removed.

clintogf showed it to me, I'd have to try and find it again and post pictures.

greenjeepster

There is currently a truck on our least favorite auction site with writing on the driver's window something to the effect of "remove gauges" and the air pressure gauge and the speedo have been removed.

clintogf showed it to me, I'd have to try and find it again and post pictures.
One just sold in the last sale at Ft Jackson that had the guages removed. My personal truck is still on hold for inspection of the guages. Mine don't glow, but they will not take my word for it. I guess at some point an inspector will come out to check them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have gauges that have a pail yellow appearance to them, they might be the radium gauges. Just recently I went to the scrap yard and the scrap guy queried me about the gauges in my deuce. He was well aware of them. FWIW the only real danger from them would be opening them up and licking the gauge parts.

datsunaholic

I work on vintage Unlimited hydroplanes (from the 50s and 60s) that use WWII airplane engines (Allisons and Merlins). The gauges we use are all old aircraft gauges- Tach, oil pressure, fuel pressure, temp, boost pressure, etc. Almost all of them glow, they're all WWII radium dials. We have several that were "refurbished" that just have plain white markings, but I found when taking apart a broken manifold pressure gauge that it had markings on BOTH sides of the face, so you could flip the face to get a different measure (IN/Hg on one side and PSI on the other). BOTH sides glow.

Guess we probably should be careful if we ever take them across the border, or overseas (which might happen this year).

frodobaggins

If you have gauges that have a pail yellow appearance to them, they might be the radium gauges. Just recently I went to the scrap yard and the scrap guy queried me about the gauges in my deuce. He was well aware of them. FWIW the only real danger from them would be opening them up and licking the gauge parts.

I LOVE licking gauges !

67X

Ever wonder why some detectors are considered a hazmat? Because they are, well not all but some are radioactive.The ionization smoke detectors contain Americium-241. Sounds patriotic..i like it.
So unless you find a bucket of Tritium paint laying around. Then decide you want to get naked and paint yourself like a glowstick I wouldnt worry about it.
But if your really worried go have someone make you up a lead cod piece.

-Adam

SEAFIRE

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass it along, being that our two trucks are still owned by the Federal Forest Service I would imagine they would have come by and/or notified us if our trucks needed the gauges replaced.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Licking is one thing.
But a more serious concern would be inhaling if you dis-assemble the faces and scratch off the paint.
It emits alphas, betas and gammas, alphas can't penetrate skin, but ihale or swallow and it will have fun with your innards.
It acts like calcium and will move thru you system and settle in your bones.
Replace those dials.

I am writing this from my office in the 300 area at the outskirts of the Hanford Site.

google 46.369156,-119.279509

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks