• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re: Fuel & oil woes when they wind up mixed in the wrong place!

FloridaAKM

Re: Fuel & oil woes when they wind up mixed in the wrong place!

A fellow Steel Soldier in the Ocala area had a problem with his Deuce today of fuel spraying out of what he thought was the primary filter. The filter has not been checked or replaced in eons, so off to NAPA with the numbers I gave him. Auto zone had better prices so thats what got installed. He cleaned the abnormal rust & mud out of the canister & also changed out the two large filters on the firewall as they were very old as the primary was.
Fuel system is all clean with new filters & should be good to go.

Now I get another text that the oil level is WAY too high on the dipstick when it was okay last week. He drained 9 gallons of oil & diesel out of the engine after a 20 mile run to Autozone for the filters today & the diesel fuel was low in the tank from full when he started. He said that the power was off to the truck & not left on. The only thing I could think of was
#1 - The Flame heater leaking thru ( but not that volume of fuel)
#2 - The FDC is leaking thru
#3 - The Hydraulic Head o-rings are leaking.

At this point, he is bypassing the Flame heater & the FDC to see if that stops the leaking diesel fuel into the crankcase.

I never heard back on the spraying diesel fuel problem, so no clue there; unless he was loosing engine oil thru the front crankcase seal @ high rpm's which he mentioned. :???:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A fellow Steel Soldier in the Ocala area had a problem with his Deuce today of fuel spraying out of what he thought was the primary filter. The filter has not been checked or replaced in eons, so off to NAPA with the numbers I gave him.
Unless the housing was loose, fuel was not spraying out. The fact that the filters were old does not mean they were bad. When my filters on my deuce "fill up" it stops the motor.

Your buddy has other issues he hasn't treated(found) yet.

rustystud

View attachment Scan0166.pdfView attachment Scan0167.pdf

The boost pump relief valve could be stuck. Since the filters had not been changed for such a long time the boost pump could have a lot of junk inside it. During this injection pump build-up of mine I found one of the booster pumps had broken the drive shaft due to "crap" in the housing. The gears could not turn due to the crud in there and the shaft broke. If the relief valve is stuck then fluid pressure could cause the housing to leak and also the shaft seal to pour fuel into the engine. Also check the "overflow valve" .

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Perhaps the booster pump relief valve being stuck should be added to the 13 ways that fuel can get into the lube oil?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140095-Fuel-in-Oil-–-HELP&p=1734887#post1734887

It is my understanding that there are 13 places that fuel can contaminate the oil:
1) FDC
2) fuel shutoff actuator o-ring
3) HH o-rings (2 of them)
4) boost fuel pump seal
5) flame heater (if equipped)
6) fuel injectors (6 of them)
7) plunger in the HH

rustystud

Perhaps the booster pump relief valve being stuck should be added to the 13 ways that fuel can get into the lube oil?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140095-Fuel-in-Oil-–-HELP&p=1734887#post1734887

It is my understanding that there are 13 places that fuel can contaminate the oil:
1) FDC
2) fuel shutoff actuator o-ring
3) HH o-rings (2 of them)
4) boost fuel pump seal
5) flame heater (if equipped)
6) fuel injectors (6 of them)
7) plunger in the HH
It would still need to get past the oil seal. Of course it could cause the oil seal to fail !

FloridaAKM

Update time, the friend who was having engine oil manufacturing problems contacted me this afternoon with his truck situation. The trucks filters were not a part of his problem, just an odd symptom. The two almost full 5 gallon buckets of oil & diesel fuel were causing oil to blow past the crankshaft seal & into the fan, then onto the exhaust manifold & turbo piping. The smell of diesel fuel is what clued him into a big problem. He sealed off the flame heater & rerouted the FDC to stop the oil from being contaminated by diesel fuel. As of this afternoon, the truck runs great & it is not making oil any more. I did inform him about needing to turn down the fuel & getting a pyrometer & a boost gauge to be able to drive it without burning up a piston or two.

dmetalmiki

I was going to post that the blow by of fuel etc was inevitable with oodles of mix in the engine sump, but he has the problem resolved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks