• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Real world SPICER limitations..

Colonel Smash

My question is over the real world power limit of the stock Spicer 3053a. People have a lot of opinions on this transmission but most seem to be based on what the tranny is good for on paper.

So my question: Who has, 1st hand, broken a 3053a? And how did you break it? I.E. Your power output, is the truck bobbed, tire size, and what where you doing when it broke?

I am looking at putting a 6BT or a DT360 in my bobbed M35A2, but I am having a hard time finding a good medium duty tranny with overdrive. If I can use the stock Spicer I would be very happy.

Thank you so much,
Dustin

PS. Here is a pic of the bobber. I'll be keeping the stock 9.00x20s.

Bobbed Colonel2.jpgBobbed Colone.jpg

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
as you probably know the first number in spicer is the torque rating of the trans, so it was designed for 300 ft lbs. i know that is not what you want to know, but this trans has been put behind several cat 3208 at nearly 600 ft lbs and unless abused has not broken. one member has it behind a 8.3 cummins and it as been ok, i am putting it behind a 9.0 v8 with 2 turbos. unless you go out and try to break it you will be ok. there are a couple things you can do to help insure it. i have .125" longer rollers for the front of the mainshaft, use the correct front bearing with 11 balls, and use alloy keys for the 2/3 hub.

Colonel Smash

Thanks for the response. Do you guys sell those bearings and keys? Would it hold up to a modded P-pump Cummins?

This would just be a cruiser with very limited off road usage. So that should help.

Thanks, Dustin.

jdknech

Why do you like the DT360 more than the Cummins? My understanding is that they are very similar.
about the only thing they have in common is diesel fuel and that they are 360ci (ok ok, maybe a bit more then that) but the DT-360 is a much stronger engine, and is a wet sleave engine.. meaning you can rebuild it without having to bore it, just replace the liners.. they also are able to withstand 200psi+ on the STOCK top end (some people claim 300psi) and they can be built to 600+hp without major mods.. I built a DT360 for a crew-cab international hauler project, and they a awesome engine! but with that said, my second choice is the cummins.. I have had a couple of those as well.. I picked up my DT-360 for $600 at the local junk yard.. try finding a 5.9 cummins for that lol

Colonel Smash

What about the injection pump? I know just about every 12v Cummins from the 90s had the P7100. And I know that some (or all, I'm not sure) of the DT360s came with A or MW Pumps. What pump did your DT360 have? And do you know the HP you were making?

I didn't know the 360s are wet sleeve. That is good to know!

jdknech

mine had a "A" pump.. and all i did was up the fuel and bigger turbo on mine.. I would say somewhere in the 220-240hp range on mine.. I was looking for MPG's and highway running, so I didnt build mine to be a monster.. but I did lots and lots of research before I got the DT-360.. I was originally going with the 5.9 cummins, then after everything I found out about the DT engine, it was a pretty clear choice for me.. (plus it's a international engine, and it was a IH truck..)

rustystud

mine had a "A" pump.. and all i did was up the fuel and bigger turbo on mine.. I would say somewhere in the 220-240hp range on mine.. I was looking for MPG's and highway running, so I didnt build mine to be a monster.. but I did lots and lots of research before I got the DT-360.. I was originally going with the 5.9 cummins, then after everything I found out about the DT engine, it was a pretty clear choice for me.. (plus it's a international engine, and it was a IH truck..)
I totally agree with you jdknech . The DT series engines have been around since the mid fifty's in tractors, then in the 1970's in trucks . I worked on the DT466 engines when I was at IHC in Seattle. Great engines and you don't need all that electronic crap to make them run.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really, the Spicer is only designed for 300 ft-lb??? (This is not a loaded question, just seems, short.)

If the OP has torque concerns, go with the trans out of a 5-ton, clerance may be an issue.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JD,

I'm very interested in changing over to the DT-360 but was wondering if there are any PITA issues that
would be helpful to know before installing into a duece such as bell housing and motor mounts.

Thanks

Colonel Smash

I am aware that the rated torque for Spicer is 300ftlbs, but they are also in a truck rated for 26,000lbs! So I was wondering if anyone has ever over powered one and actually broken one?? Has anyone even heard of this from someone they know?

I could go with a 5 ton or a NV5600, but if I can use my stock Spicer it would save me thousands, not to mention time in swapping trans.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
have you seen the size of the 6000 series from a 5 ton? twice the size, will only fit with a V8 (since it is shorter) and raising the cab 3" off the frame. been there. you can break the 3053 in a deuce, just abuse it for a while. but to your question, no, i don't recall anyone actually having one break because of being over powered. they broke from worn out bearings and from water in the oil. you will need to treat it nicely but i would not be afraid of it.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that depends on your skill level. the 3053 is an extremely easy trans to OH, probably the hardest thing is to remove the rear bearing on the mainshaft, for that you really need a small puller. i usually then polish the shaft down to it being a neat fit as stock it is a .0012 tight fit and this just is not needed. the bearing kit for the trans (all 5 bearings) is $175, but you can get whichever you want.

Flyingvan911

My deuce has an LDS which puts out a max of 440 ft/lbs or so. My 3053a is doing just fine. I suspect the 300 number is a deliberate lowball to keep people away from the true max and actually blowing them up.

Jeepsinker

I broke mine, not abusing it, just the teeth finally wore off on the 5th synchro hub. I changed out the entire mainshaft and associated bearings with the the trans still in the truck in 3-4 hours start to finish. That includes time removing the passenger seat and transmission tunnel and everything. Really simple to work on them, and yes you can get parts for them.

wb1895

The transmissions are known for shearing the keys on the main shaft. I had to get a new main shaft due to this. Don't start off in 2nd gear, 1st is there for a reason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks