• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Airlift Bumper - dimensions

Stonewall

Here is a drawing that I put together based off of the brackets, my HMMWV, and measuring an official bumper installed on my friends HMMWV. I have not made my bumper based off of these yet, so I cannot guarantee the drawing, but it should be good. Keep in mind that the official bumper has bungs welded into all the spots where the 1/2-13 bolts mount to the brackets. These are to reinforce the bumper against "crushing". I will not be putting those into mine, since the bumper is mostly for looks, and I find it would be hard to "crush" 1/4" wall steel tubing. Also there is a bung for the two shackles at the end of the bumper. I will most likely just use a bushing on the outside to fit the shackle, again, since I do not plan fly to fly mine from a helicopter.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o704/dwilliams329/Drawing Rear bumper_zpsl6nhokyx.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the website compressed it down, and it's not readable (to me)

I'd suggest uploading the original to imgur.com or photobucket or something, and then providing the direct link. That way we can see your writing.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still No, but it might be my work computer having issues (I'm on a DoD domain). hopefully someone else will weigh in.

Stonewall

I selected the link in my message and it took me to the photo bucket web site and gave me the option to download the drawing. I guess we will see.

Still No, but it might be my work computer having issues (I'm on a DoD domain). hopefully someone else will weigh in.

WAGNUM

Inner bumper brackets

I ended up just buying an A2 bumper but I had to make the two inner brackets. Since I had to fab them up I reinforced the back of the bumper with a large piece of 5/8" plate.

IMG_0643.jpgIMG_0642.jpgIMG_0639.jpgIMG_0640.jpgIMG_0641.jpgIMG_0637.jpgIMG_0636.jpgIMG_0635.jpgIMG_0634.jpgIMG_0638.jpg

Bobert

Thats good, it shouldn't be too hard to build one. Or do your own thing. If someone has better eyes or can correct the measurements I'll change the dimensions.

Same thing for the brackets.

Stonewall

20170216_140740.jpg

Here is my fabricated unit partially mounted. I added the 4" LED back up lights. Also the two brackets pointing down at the left are for the license plate. For those who have my drawing, I would move the inner bracket holes up by about 3/16". Otherwise, the rest of them fit great. Best part, the steel cost me $25, and a bunch of time drilling holes.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really nicely done! So the PDF posted earlier was correct? Next project for me. I have the inner brackets already.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 666754

Here is my fabricated unit partially mounted. I added the 4" LED back up lights. Also the two brackets pointing down at the left are for the license plate. For those who have my drawing, I would move the inner bracket holes up by about 3/16". Otherwise, the rest of them fit great. Best part, the steel cost me $25, and a bunch of time drilling holes.
Really nice work!

Please clarify which holes to move, perhaps in a drawing?

Thanks

T

Action

View attachment 666754

Did you place anything inside the bumper at the bolt holes?

Stonewall

The holes to move are the 4 holes that you would use to attach to the two inner brackets. I would shift them up about 3/16". The material is just 2x8x1/4" wall box tubing. You can try a scrap yard. You can try a local steel distribution company (probably have to purchase 24' from them however). I was lucky and one of my customers had a few scrap pieces that they sold me for a song. I did not weld in the spacers in each hole, as you would find on the official unit. I think those are a bit overkill, as you would have to really, really crank on the mounting bolts in order to "smash" the bumper. Also, I am not planning on hanging mine from a helicopter. It is more than strong enough to pull an appropriate sized trailer (compare it to a readily available hitch/receiver that you would put on an F-150).

donquijote

Do you mind posting a high-resolution version of the photo? I can't read any of the dimensions and definitely want to make this! Or i'll take a dwg/dxf of the drawing if you don't have a hi-res jpeg. Thanks!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The holes to move are the 4 holes that you would use to attach to the two inner brackets. I would shift them up about 3/16". The material is just 2x8x1/4" wall box tubing. You can try a scrap yard. You can try a local steel distribution company (probably have to purchase 24' from them however). I was lucky and one of my customers had a few scrap pieces that they sold me for a song. I did not weld in the spacers in each hole, as you would find on the official unit. I think those are a bit overkill, as you would have to really, really crank on the mounting bolts in order to "smash" the bumper. Also, I am not planning on hanging mine from a helicopter. It is more than strong enough to pull an appropriate sized trailer (compare it to a readily available hitch/receiver that you would put on an F-150).
Thank you but I'm sorry to hear that you are not planning on suspending her vehicle from a helicopter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks