• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle oil seal

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IMG tags are intentionally set to not embed to promote users to host the images from the site.

(ouch, that hurt, some of you will understand that)

If you want to repair it properly, you need an axle gasket. But I've cleaned the mating surfaces and silicone'd them up many many times and on multiple vehicles.

Sam27

If you want to repair it properly, you need an axle gasket. But I've cleaned the mating surfaces and silicone'd them up many many times and on multiple vehicles.
Thanks. Can you explain where the gasket goes? I'm sure I'll find it, but I'd like to understand ahead of time. I haven't found a good exploded view in the manuals yet. Is a gasket obtainable at the corner parts store?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Take the 8 bolts holding the axle in place out, slide the axle out. It will likely be in 6 or 7 parts between the inside of the axle shaft flange and the wheel hub. Clean it down with a gasket scraper until you're at bare metal. The gaskets usually aren't in stock in my experience. That's why I just go with the silicone.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Can you explain where the gasket goes? I'm sure I'll find it, but I'd like to understand ahead of time. I haven't found a good exploded view in the manuals yet. Is a gasket obtainable at the corner parts store?
TM 9-2320-289-20

Chapter 6-8, page 6-15. Has detailed instructions with pictures on the axle shafts.

I would just use some RTV sealer instead of a gasket.

Sam27

Oh! So it's purely a seal between the axleshaft itself and the hub. I was thinking it would be more internal. I have gasket material I could attempt to create a gasket... anyway, this is really straightforward. Thanks for the help.

Cucvnut

super easy to change. will take you about a half an hour. Just make sure you don't let a lot of oil spill out of the axle tube when you change it.

kassim503

Make sure you leave the truck in neutral when you change it, and chock the wheels. I usually rtv them as well. While you are in there its always strongly suggested that you jack up the side, and check for play in the wheel bearing, b/c play doesnt really show until the shaft is off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks