• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear bumperette bolt pattern

nhdiesel

Hey all, I was going to fab up a towbar for my Durango to tow behind the Deuce I need to retrieve, but the only lunette eye I have is only 2 1/2" and won't fit a Deuce's pintle. I could buy an eye...then get involved with fabbing the custom tow bar, etc.

OR

I was looking at some Deuce "rear end" shots and noticed the bumperette mounting holes. I could easily fab up a receiver hitch to bolt onto those 4 holes (I'm sure that rear crossmember would be strong enough with only 4 large bolts...) and use a regular off the shelf towbar that I can get on fleabay for $60 (rated 5k lbs, should hold a Durango). Nice thing is, I could then use the towbar for other vehicles besides just towing behind a Deuce. And I can keep the receiver hitch for another retrieval.

QUESTION: Could someone be so kind as to measure up the bolt pattern for the holes? I only need the 4 inner holes, so get me the measurements side to side, and up and down (center to center). Also, what size bolts do those use?

And also get a measurement of the overall height of the rear frame crossmember? I was thinking something like this:
deuce hitch.jpg

Thanks!

Jim

monkeythumbs

Wouldn't it just be easier to find someone to drive your durango back. Not to be a smart-ass , but if you don't have a truck to "fab it up" how safe are you going to feel dragging a durango behind you. Trying to mount that up and hoping that it'll work is an extremely risky venture in my book, and I've done some stupid stuff too.

nhdiesel

And...ummm....how exactly is building a hitch insane? I built the custom raised drawbar to pull a pair of M105 trailers home behind the Durango (over 300 miles), and I didn't have an M105 to compare to in advance. I'm a welder, I've built hitches, winch bumpers, etc. many times before. The mounting points on the Deuce are PLENTY strong to hold the hitch, and I have no doubt about the fabbing of the hitch itself (and its strength and safety).

All I need are the measurements, not a smart-ass answer.

Jim

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................................ I only need the 4 inner holes, so get me the measurements side to side, and up and down (center to center). Also, what size bolts do those use?

And also get a measurement of the overall height of the rear frame crossmember?
Bolts are 1/2". For measurements, see attachment.

G.

Attachments

nhdiesel

Thankee veeery much sir! Just what I was looking for. Now I can get fabbing tomorrow. I'll feel better about fabbing a simple receiver hitch (actually just modding an existing new one I have kicking around) than making the whole tow bar.

Edit: I just got a PM from Beaubeau...he wants to take his truck and trailer. Hmmmm, what will give me the better chance of getting back, driving an unknown Deuce, or riding in a Duracrap-powered Chevy........decisions, decisions.....

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks