• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear fender condenser to Red Dot install thread

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am not mistaken the high/low pressure/temp switch controls the compressor not the fans

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great project. Seeing that there are right and left rear condensers, is the idea to have one or the other, or are some people running with a condenser under both fenders?
So the trucks that have these factory installed use the passenger side condenser for the AC built into the dash/heater core area. The driver's side unit is for a rear AC that sits between the rear seats on a 4 door truck. From what I can tell they are both run to a single compressor, so if you only have one AC unit in the truck it doesn't matter which you use.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am not mistaken the high/low pressure/temp switch controls the compressor not the fans
That I'm not sure of. I know from watching the manifold during filling that when the fans on the condenser kick on, the pressure drops, as the refrigerant is a gas in most of the system. Temp/pressure are directly related for gases. I couldn't tell you if it controls the compressor or not, but I was under the impression that unless pressure gets too high the compressor is always working.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 condensers are for the 4 man A/C.
If using a redot system...you can run one condenser....most people used the right one.
On a M1152 with 2 man A/C, they only use the right condenser....a blocking plate is on the left.

gestut

pulled it out, found a barely legible part number stamped into it. Quick search of 4108852 crosses to 6015673, which is labeled as the RH bracket in the TM.
so how did your install go? my fender condenser is on its way, i have a new redot kit which i am planning on installing

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so how did your install go? my fender condenser is on its way, i have a new redot kit which i am planning on installing
Install all complete and fully functional.
Not the cleanest of installs. I have little interest at this time of pulling frame rails and running hard lines, so it's hoses all the sway, and one got a little close to the exhaust so the outer layer is melted a little.

I also never actually measured my refrigerant. I just watched the sight glass in the receiver/filter assembly, and stopped adding it when the glass was clear and the fans weren't cycling too often.

Other than that, I was in 75 degree weather yesterday, had the AC set to slow and the heater on full blast. Occasionally kicked it up to medium speed on the AC, but it does an excellent job of cooling.

I need to verify, one of the condenser fans doesn't seem to be moving much air, not sure if it's just being slow or if maybe it's wired backwards, or whatever. We're past the heat for the year up here (might be into the low 80s a few more times but that's about it I think)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2c365a36da7098f8f08ab8228df30b8ba64e9103-1.jpg

so my mistake. It actually says "4 lbs MAX OPERATING CHARGE" not that it's actually supposed to be 4 lbs.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 811391

so my mistake. It actually says "4 lbs MAX OPERATING CHARGE" not that it's actually supposed to be 4 lbs.
yea, the amount of refrigerant is based on ambient OAT, so that’s the max, I’ve been going 3.5 from the book.
but the book has a different part number for the evaporactor, so maybe that makes a differenc.
better too low than over charged, as long as your high pressure switch does not kick off, your fine.

abfisher1798

So the pictures I see of this bracket installed shw the angled reinforcement part that sticks down towards the rear of the truck.
the bracket I received has the flat angled portion facing the front.
Can someone confirm the one I have is correct or did I possibly get sent the wrong side?
If it's the correct one, then it looks like I mounted it a little too far forward (I was going by pictures I found of where to drill the holes)

View attachment 799609
Do you have any photos or a template of where you mount the condenser bracket? Or any other reference material?
Thanks.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any photos or a template of where you mount the condenser bracket? Or any other reference material?
Thanks.
no, I don't have any type of template for this unfortunately, it would have made life easier.

I mostly went by the pictures on this page:

Hopefully someone with better info can chime in.

How I finally decided to start drilling the holes was holding the condenser up in place with some sticks/posts, then put the bracket where it needed to be.
Marked where the holes were (or at least one of the holes, I don't remember if I could reach all of them) and then drilled up from the bottom with a small bit. Drilled again from the top with the proper size bit.

I don't remember if I cut the holes for the vent in the fender before or after, but I am pretty sure it was before. Rear of the cutout was along one of the bends in the metal, so was easy to start with, then just aligned everything from there.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/C cutout
I really wish I had had those pictures with the measurements before I started cutting and drilling on mine. There is at least one extra hole drilled in the top rear of mine than I actually needed (but I think that was due to the incorrect bracket I received at first)

Do you have the measurements for the rear holes as well?

abfisher1798

no, I don't have any type of template for this unfortunately, it would have made life easier.

I mostly went by the pictures on this page:

Hopefully someone with better info can chime in.

How I finally decided to start drilling the holes was holding the condenser up in place with some sticks/posts, then put the bracket where it needed to be.
Marked where the holes were (or at least one of the holes, I don't remember if I could reach all of them) and then drilled up from the bottom with a small bit. Drilled again from the top with the proper size bit.

I don't remember if I cut the holes for the vent in the fender before or after, but I am pretty sure it was before. Rear of the cutout was along one of the bends in the metal, so was easy to start with, then just aligned everything from there.
Thanks very much!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I've seen a couple questions on facecrook about manuals for the HMMWV red dot system.
I'm tired of going through my bookmarks every time I want to share them, so I'm going to link them here instead, as I usually end up linking this thread anyway.

Red Dot Parts catalog. The main difference in the diagram of the Red Dot civilian system and the military system is the military system uses size -12 hose, where the civilian system uses -10. No idea if it makes any real different, as the fittings go from -12 hose to -10 for the compressor and evaporator, but thought I would point it out anyway.

Red Dot Service Manual. Does not specifically cover the military unit, but has a lot of good information in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks