• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REB Kit

comdiver

Does anyone have a set of instructions or a manual (anything) for the REB kit that they could share? Photos of the parts, parts breakdown. I would be happy to pay for copies and mailing.

acetomatoco

The one for the Hydro, in the M135 or the one for the xfercase on the M35.. I would just ask Memphis Equipment for one.. they are their products and it is to their advantage to treat you well as a potential customer..

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, for what application?
May I ask what you have in mind?
I could help telling you what I did years ago to convert the sprag TC to air shift, and what I would do today...!

comdiver

I am looking for the M35 transfer kit. My deuce has the sprag transfer and I may be able to get a case with the reb kit. There may be a problem wit the transfer box so I was looking for the paperwork to learn a little more about it first. I have talked with Memphis Equipment and they have only one of the gears left in stock and won't be getting any more. They gave me a layout of the linkage but that's all they have. I would love to hear all about your conversion.

comdiver

OK now I'm really confused. My undesstanding is that the REB kit removes the sprags and replaces a gear (gears) to make the gear ratio the same front and back.

Bill W

Well according to the Memphis Parts manual the REB Ratio Compensator ( for conversion to manual frt drive) one of the items you remove is the old 21 tooth gear and replace with a kit 22 tooth gear, then replace old 34 tooth with new 33 tooth, then replace sprag with gear provided in kit. If it will help,one of the pages is a exploded view of the parts I can fax you it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just swap out the transfer!! surely they are plentiful and cheap, almost never fail and many trucks are scrapped with them still attached.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics, JasonS. It just confirmed that I wasn't the first and only one to build this, about 12 years ago!
I don't see any reason for confusion here: 1) If we wanted a part time transfer case, front and rear output should turn at equal speed. So we have to change the front output gear ratio, speak replace the existing 21/34 gears with new 22/33 ones.
2) The sprag itself has to be replaced by that solid hub with the same dimensions in order to have the original (flipped) clutch collar sliding on it to engage/disengage the gear.
3) The shift fork (also flipped) and shift shaft plus return spring remain the same. It can be actuated either mechanically or (better) via a small air cylinder (1.0" I.D, 1-¾" stroke).
That's all, for the tech part, and it works perfect, but...it is obvious that economically speaking - doing all these mods, makes very little sense! Like mentioned before: you can find a good take out air shift TC for much less money!
I only did it (once) because at that time there was only one rebuilt air shift around and they wanted $2000.-!
Sadly it is not possible to just take the complete front section off an air shift T136-27 TC and install it on the T136-21 sprag TC. The rear output shaft is completely different (see pics) and would also need to be swapped. And that means a lot of work! I would only do that if I wanted to convert a fairly new -21 and had access to a very cheap donor -27, considering that the clutch and related parts usually don't wear that fast.

Gerhard

Attachments

Last edited:

JasonS

The shift collar and fork remained the same (unflipped) as with the sprag clutches. The economics depend on what you have at your disposal. Sprag transfer cases are VERY cheap. With a REB kit, and two spare sprag transfer cases I figure that I am set.

Bill W

AW Crap!
I was just given ( as in free ) a sprag transfer with the thought of just changing out the air shift on my old unit That won't stay in high ( lever keeps dropping into neutral ) and blows oil everywhere. So they are NOT interchangable??

mucekok

both my trucks have the sprag style case, i am consideribg removing the linkage from the trans that engages the front drive only in 1st and reverse, and building a seperate lever to engage front drive at my will. looks like that's what the kit pictured does. am i correct?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, it can be done you just have to go deeper into the case than just the front housing.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bill W said:
AW Crap!
I was just given ( as in free ) a sprag transfer with the thought of just changing out the air shift on my old unit That won't stay in high ( lever keeps dropping into neutral ) and blows oil everywhere. So they are NOT interchangable??
The transfer case complete units are interchangeable - you just can't mix and match parts between the two styles.

DD

Bill W

Thanks David
I should have been more specific, I meant parts wise of just switching the airshift over to the sprag unit which Kenny answered as doable but just more involved, ( thanks also Kenny ), crap I thought this was going to be easy..why did I pick a hobby that had to weigh so much!!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDoyle said:
Bill W said:
AW Crap!
I was just given ( as in free ) a sprag transfer with the thought of just changing out the air shift on my old unit That won't stay in high ( lever keeps dropping into neutral ) and blows oil everywhere. So they are NOT interchangeable??
The transfer case complete units are interchangeable - you just can't mix and match parts between the two styles.

DD
YES for the first (same dimensions, although they don't work the same way) and YES again, depending....... The good news are: all the parts that usually wear out first and make the TC pop out of gear actually are identical to both styles. Just the front output sections and the rear output shafts are different and NOT interchangeable, everything else is exactly the same!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill W said:
crap I thought this was going to be easy..why did I pick a hobby that had to weigh so much!!!
Oh yeah? try collecting railroad equipment! :cookoo:

Talk about heavy... one set of wheels and axle weigh 3 tons! :shock:

And I have a flat spot on one I'm going to have to change soon. Going to need the cranes like in the other thread.

Ok, back to the real thread.
So one of the differences between the air operated sprang and the manual sprang is different gearing? :?

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
mucekok said:
both my trucks have the sprag style case, i am consideribg removing the linkage from the trans that engages the front drive only in 1st and reverse, and building a seperate lever to engage front drive at my will. looks like that's what the kit pictured does. am i correct?
No, the sprag case doesn't work that way. The linkage from the transmission does not engage and disengage the front wheel drive; it changes the direction of the one-way sprag clutch. The front drive works in all transmission gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks