• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilding a 6.2 for performance...

84cucv1ton

so far im being told this cant be done. i cant see why not. i have a few 6.2s for these trucks. i got a new government rebuild kit for the 6.2 for 400.

i would like all and any ideas, i need to look into this before i do it. im selling off and cleaning up so i have the money, and about to have a lot less trucks.

post up

thanks

Westech

CPL
well I installed 6.5 turbo injection pump and injectors and bumped the timing, that really helped a lot. The two other things you can do is add a set of headers or a turbo set up.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, I was going to say there's some diesel folks out there who have done some nuts things with these engines.

Like ten years ago one guy had about the most hot rodded NA 6.2L you could build. Was making standard Banks turbo 6.2L numbers without one.

These guys would be good:
http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

Also check the diesel forum on CK5. MaxPF's got a pretty good build thread going. Can you say machine work?

jj

Wait just a minute! "They" make headers for these things? See Westech's post above. Who? What? Where? When? How? I must know a source. It would solve a problem i have dreaded tackling since i bought the thing. That is: replacing the donut gaskets between the manifolds and the exhaust pipes. The bolts are rusted beyond liquid wrench and i have never had any luck at all with extracting broken bolts or studs in cast iron manifolds or re-drilling and tapping them either. New cast iron repro's are cost prohibitve ($300 plus per side), so tube steel headers would possibly be just what the physician ordered.

Stalled

find a 92 or 93 4911 pump.instll the part throttle timing cam from the 6.2 pump and wa la.It will really wake them up.I run these motors and have very good service from themWhat kills em is air in the fuel system.It causes the timing to advance(the air bubbles) and eventually will cause cracked heads and blocks.(they will blow the main webbing)If you plan on a turbo,you must run short style injector or manifold hits the lines.Hmm...I always root for the underdog....also..there a fine thread and course thread injectors..make sure which style your heads accept.

jwaller

Re: RE: rebuilding a 6.2 for performance...

jj said:
Wait just a minute! "They" make headers for these things?
ya hmmwv's have them. may not be the best but they are better than the cucv's have and can be found cheap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: rebuilding a 6.2 for performance...

Hey John, any idea if the HMMWV headers will clear on a CUCV? Anyone else ever try this?

jj

So how easily would the hmmwv headers fit an m-1009? I seem to recall that the exit flange is angled back from the head as opposed to straight down on the iron manifolds. There isn't a whole lot of extra space between the back of the engine and the firewall to make a connection and then turn down to get under the floor. Has anyone done this? Uh, i don't yet know how to manipulate the cartoons and icons but this would seem to be the appropriate place for the "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!" I really am quite technologically inept in many respects.

84cucv1ton

i have 2 4911 pumps for this and a complete banks turbo. complete 6.5 turbo set up and a serpentine set up.

CCATLETT1984

hmmwv headers SUCK, and WILL NOT EVER fit a cucv.

They are worse than a cast manifold as far as flow gows.
headers dont add much if anything to a diesel as far as power goes, might drop the egt's some but thats it.

jmassenga

As stated, HMMWV headers do not fit on a M1008; I tried. The driver's side one wants to go through the frame, and the passenger side one through the firewall. I managed to modify the passenger side to fit, but found a set of full length headers before I got around to doing the drivers side (would've required a LOT of work).

The full length headers were a used set of unknown make (apparently they were sold by multiple manufacturers in the '80s before turbos became big). The passenger side required much massaging to get it to 'fit', had to remove the pinion snubber and frame reinforcement brackets, and it is still up tight against the frame. I'm hoping I can get it good and hot pulling a grade and then use a pry bar to bend it inward a bit more. It seemed like it was made for something with about 2" more space between the engine and frame than there is on a M1008 (maybe a 1/2 ton?). The driver's side fit without too much trouble; oil cooler lines needed to be disconnected to get it in place which makes things messy, and the end trimmed off of the shift linkage. It was a lot of work to get them on there!

Yeah the HMMWV's "Headers" look like some backwoods-engineered hunks of crap. Something tells me GM just kinda threw them together to fit the Hummer.
As for performance. yeah, on all the fuel stuff. I know there are marine injectors for 6.5, mayeb there are some that would work for 6.2's. I've heard of a lot of Ford IDI guys putting intercoolers in...with or without a turbo. It would require some mods and fitting (maybe have to run an electric fan?), but colder air=more power.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These guys were doing some neat things with 6.2 and 6.5 performance back when I was driving my 6.2 pickup:
http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/
Cooling is something else to consider - I believe there are some changes that can be made to improve coolant flow on the 6.2/6.5 including a higher flow water pump and the later style coolant crossover.
FWIW,
Chad

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks