• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovered the last 5ton from Barbers Pt DRMO/GL today...

EwaMarine

Recovered the very last 5ton out of BP today.....kinda sad going over there...all the weeds are huge and the buildings will revert to hawaiian home lands which means its doomed to be a eco super site junkyard ..AHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....The rest of NAS Barbers is a example and historical precedent...Sad. But at least this truck is going to a great new home...with Army truck parts dot com!!
She's headed to the mainland soon. Its a pretty nice truck in the fifteen years I've been at Barbers and seen the stuff come out of there...This one needs minor rust control and thats it. great paint and very little rust. Tires were cherry if not brand new with no weather checking on the carcasses...sidewalls...etc...Needs a headlight but thats it. Score!!
It got driven 400 yards to the Naval Air Museum with no issues and went straight to the wash rack....then parked where it will hang out with our 5tons and wait for its barge ride...to the west coast....:) sparetire.jpgunnamed.jpgunnamed1.jpgdead headlight.jpgMudwasp action.jpgmissing handles.jpgimpacted air drains.jpgfrozen brakes.jpgsafety.jpg

Last edited:

EwaMarine

Arrived at the no kill shelter aboard Naval Air Museum Barbers.....and BTW, the KC-135R Stratotanker in the background is a 1957 dated aircraft....A "Aluminum Soldier" from Columbus AFB in Ohio.... LOL...So this pic was taken before Joes truck went to get a much needed bath...YUCK...It was a filthy animal...Happiertimesahead.jpg

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A nice truck I have seen some on GL over there but had no idea what shipping would cost got any prices ?

Steve

EwaMarine

Steve,
I have no idea....but I bet its brutal...The truck belongs to Joe over at www.armytruckparts.com ...Bet he might be able to give a idea of what its like. This truck though is the VERY last 5ton to probably come out of Hawaii and its definitely the very last to come out of Barbers Points DRMO yard...Kind of bitter sweet..Shes NLO9BK....from the HIARNG at Pearl City, Oahu...(Its near PH) ...was good fun helping out that steel soldier!! Esp knowing she's going to a good home now!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those termites or ant columns on the shifter?

First time I have seen those valves used for the drains. Looks like some one retro fitted them

EwaMarine

The airdrains were sticky and the mud was in em too...the Mud wasps were everywhere in the cab and all over the truck...I blasted them all out on the washrack though..They go into every nook and cranny

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve,
This truck though is the VERY last 5ton to probably come out of Hawaii and its definitely the very last to come out of Barbers Points DRMO yard...
There's an M936 wrecker (A1, A2??) at the HIARNG Kihei Armory on the Mokulele Hwy on Maui. I was just there last week and drove by it a few times. It looks like it is great shape, but it's a couple hundred yards from the highway. Question is how much longer are they going to keep it as all the other trucks are MTV/LMTV's and what will happen to it when it does go...DRMO, GL??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks