• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering Sarge's SPGRSMD

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovering Sarge's SGPRSMD

If you have a tractor, you have to have something to pull with it, right?

In the finest traditions of “No new OD for Sarge in 2009” he made his 6th buy of the year, an SGPRSMD, also known as Shop Equipment, General Purpose Repair, Semi-trailer Mounted, at Ft Sam on Thursday of last week. Basically, it is an entire machine and welding shop in a big bat-wing trailer. Very cool.

Says Sarge Thursday night “Let’s go get it Monday”. Having never bought from GL personally but reading a lot of “My EUC is taking 47 months to process…” threads on SS I reply “Eh??”
But sure enough, Friday he says “The paperwork is done, let’s leave at sparrowfa*t Monday morning”. (Military parlance for too bloody early to be awake).

In due course it is 0615 Monday morning, we are at the farm in a fine misting rain, which adds so much ambiance to my general mood from being awake at that time of day (I normally get home from work around 0300), the sparrows wisely are still fluffed up asleep on their branches with nary an emitted postern puff. With me muttering pleasantries that I will not write here lest ladies or children read this tale, into the M818 and off to San Antonio we go.
I think I mentioned in the M818 recovery thread that the truck is loud with no muffler. That was from the driver’s seat; from the passenger seat it is positively horrendous!

We arrived at Ft Sam and met up with Mkcoen in the GL yard. He had very kindly come down to help get the trailer ready to go. Close inspection of the trailer showed the back door on the ground (broken hinge); tires needing attention, a broken brake air glad-hand, etc... Inside though, what a treasure trove! The trailer has boxes and boxes and drawers FULL of tools and equipment. It is going to be like Christmas for Sarge when he goes through that lot.
We set to work with Mark doing tires, Sarge replacing glad-hands and me rewiring the trailer light hookup to make it work. Everything secured inside and out and we were finally ready to go.

During the course of this I was looking over Mark’s M1009, which he had driven down. He mentioned that he had just bought another very nice one. Says I quietly, “Wot you going to do with this one then?”. Mark- “Sell it to you so you don’t have to listen to that bellowing M818 on the trip back”. Worked too.

So off we go to Spring Branch to drop Mark off and head home. We stopped for a hub check after a bit, all seemed okay. After about 20 more miles I smelled a familiar smell and visions of State Troopers and fire engines flashed through my mind. Not wanting a repeat of a recent event (even though we had something like six fire extinguishers with us), I get Sarge to pull over. Sure enough, the brakes on the back trailer axle are dragging and are now smoking. Sarge mutters some words, nearby sailors blush, and we set to work finding a temporary fix. In this case, it was disconnect the trailer brakes, start moving, stop moving and go back and drain the trailer air tank (doh! we all forgot that one) and start moving slowly down to the gas station to run water over the brake drums to cool them off. Better a cracked or warped drum than a burned up trailer. Blah, blah, we got the brakes loose, hooked everything back up and headed to Spring Branch. After lunch and dropping Mark off at home, we headed on. Frequent stops showed that the brakes were indeed fixed, no more hot hubs thankfully. But the power steering was barfing fluid again. Oh well…

Now, gentle reader, as I have mentioned before there is a good reason that the Texas Hill Country is thus named. And we live in the higher hilly part of the Hill Country. Long story short, the speed of an M818 towing 31k+ pounds of SGPRSMD up long hills is approximately 15-20 mph! Birds on the right side of the road were blasted from their nests by the 818 exhaust and numerous denizens of the local woods no doubt suffered permanent trauma. (In deer language, to its assembled young- “Let me tell you of Godzilla…"). The last part of the trip was grueling, to say the least, but finally we dragged in through the gate at the farm, 12 hours and 15 minutes after we left. Sarge got out of the 818, kissed the ground, we parked and secured everything, and that was that.
So endeth the tale.

Now, enough blathering from me, go read something interesting.

Cheers

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And of course we all love photos, so-

Pic 2- The tach hovers around 2150 (on the upward side of the swing here)
Pic 3- While speedo shows 55mph, GPS shows 57
Pic 4- Sarge in a typically bad mood. I don't know why he has an nametag that says Arnold on it...
Pic 5/6- The new toy
Pics 7/9- Mark and Sarge getting things ready
Pic 10- Leaving Ft Sam

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the other side of the fence was the stuff they wouldn’t let us have!

Edit- Earlier I removed some text and pictures that I didn't realize pertained to an active auction. That auction ended Thursday, so I'm putting this bit back in:
Since I am one of the few who actually like these trucks, skysearching nose and all, I checked out this M35A3 while I was there. It was in pretty bad shape, but sold recently, so I hope whoever bought it knew what they were getting. Had a one piece hood, rather than the cobbled together widened hood.

I like the shoulder belt set up, if anyone knows where I can get the parts or a kit for that, I’m interested.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patience lads! I am on dinosaur dialup, so it takes me a while to upload them. I have to post the text first, then come back and put the pics in. Some are now on, I'm uploading the rest.

And I just figured out you can only attach ten per post, so I am splitting post 2 and continuing it here-
Pic 11- Lunch stop in Spring Branch
Pic 12- Thumbs up, going well
Pic13- Coming in my gate at the farm
Pic 14- Is Sarge glad to be home?
Pic 15- I think he likes it
Pic 16- Ahh, there’s the power steering fluid!
Pic 18/19- My “new” M1009

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovering Sarge's SGPRSMD

Yep, unfortunately dialup is all I can get here in boonieland at the moment. Hopefully I will have something better in the near future as 20th century technology is slowly catching up.

Anyway, all the pics are up now.

Can someone tell me how to edit the title of the thread? I spelled SGPRSMD wrong..:oops:

Cheers

Last edited:

Pawnshop

AWESOME! I will take the credit for informing Sarge that this trailer was available!

I says: "Sarge, did you know there is a shop trailer on GL at Ft. Sam?"
Sarge says: "OH REALLY?"
I says:"it's a clamshel"
Sarge says: "OH REALLY? Does it..."
I says: "yep, it still has the tools onboard, and the generator, and the compressor"
Sarge says: "the LATHE???"
and I says; "yep, the lathe"

That was about 20 hours before the end of the auction, the rest is history...:)

Last edited:

ABN173

an SGPRSMD, also known as Shop Equipment, General Purpose Repair, Semi-trailer Mounted, at Ft Sam on Thursday of last week. Basically, it is an entire machine and welding shop in a big bat-wing trailer. Very cool.

Dang....I want one! Congratulations on that find. Post pics of it expanded when you can.

Dale

Michael

Yep, unfortunately dialup is all I can get here in boonieland at the moment. Hopefully I will have something better in the near future as 20th century technology is slowly catching up.

Anyway, all the pics are up now.

Can someone tell me how to edit the title of the thread? I spelled SGPRSMD wrong..:oops:

Cheers
Nice thread. You should try satellite. I had it for several years before I could get DSL. It worked well then and is suppose to be better now.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, please post pics of the batwings raised and the machine shop all set up.

What a great story and photo essay! Thanks for taking the time, I know how sometimes you can forget to take pics in the middle of the action . . .

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have made suggestions on improving my internet speed, here and in PM, I thank you. I am not good at understanding that stuff, but got some good suggestions.

Hoopsoft, it is only about 85 miles one-way going down, but the return trip was actually around 112 because we took the back roads and took Mkcoen home so I could keep his 1009. That also kept us from driving through Austin during rush hour. But it felt like 600, and I am long winded so I make it punishingly long in the telling!

Good spot on the air tank MR. That is just a holding tank for running air tools off the truck compressor. Makes it a whole lot easier to use an air chuck to change a tire or whatever. It is bungeed to the top of the tool box as a good out of the way place to carry it when we went down with the unladen tractor.

I have always regretted that I took so very few pictures when I was in the Marines, it just wasn't important to me at the time and cost money, but I sure wish I had them now. I cherish the ones I have, but lots of places and buddies I can only see in my mind, and some of those are unfortunately somewhat faded. I now try to take lots of pictures when we do things, and digital cameras make that easy and cheap. I enjoy reading other peoples recovery and event tales, and pictures bring it all to life. Got my camera kinda grubby on this one, but oh well!

54reo

PRIOR to you opening up the sides, inspect the hinges on top!!

(ask me how I know)

Yours appears to be a few serial numbers away from mine. It should have the 27" South Bend "Tunrnado" in it as well.

Nice find! Good to see you get it, as I bowed out early.

MilitaryRestoration

Good spot on the air tank MR. That is just a holding tank for running air tools off the truck compressor. Makes it a whole lot easier to use an air chuck to change a tire or whatever. It is bungeed to the top of the tool box as a good out of the way place to carry it when we went down with the unladen tractor.

So did you use a 5gal can and double line it into the main tanks or how'd you do it? I got four extra stock tanks im going to put on one of the trucks, more likely the 5ton recovery truck, but just starting to get ideas for it. Also thought about using 5gal can that is a cheetah as well and removable so can be used for cheetah purposes along with extra air space when on truck and using air tools....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isn't hooked to the truck at all, it is filled from the outlet under the dash via a hose, has a regulator on it. It goes along with whatever truck Sarge is driving at the time. Simple but useful, I'll get him to post the details (or getthem and post them myself, he procrastinates when it comes to posting! That's why he asked me to write up the recoveries lately).

Yes, we will check the hinges, thanks for the advice. When we picked it up, it had a big cargo strap hanging on the left side. We couldn't figure out why it was there, everything seemed to be latched down securely, but we weren't about to take it off till we got it back to the farm! Better to have the side fall off there, or whatever, than to have it land on my hood on the highway. We just made sure it was nice and secure before travel, we'll figure out what it is for later when the hinges get checked.

Last edited:

54reo

Those hinges are a tedious chore to replace, as there are 2 million bolts in them.

Since the hinges are only rubber, it does not take long for them to begin deteriorating from the sun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks