• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of 2 M101A2's with 1 Dodge pickup.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
It's been a few weeks ago but here are the pics and some pointers to anyone who needs to recover 2 trailers.

1st off DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, try towing one behind the other as in the 1st pic. Anything over 40 mph and the 2nd trailer became so unstable wobbling back and forth it was literally bouncing from one tire to the other, (pucker factor, very high).

Towing them like this was my plan B. Plan A was to get GL to flip them for me but the guy didn't want to take the blame if something got damaged, even though i told him not to worry, so plan B it was for about 30 miles.

Luckely i found a heavy equipment shop with a forklift to give me a hand flipping one.

I had with me 2 wood stakes to put in the pockets of the bottom trailer to help guide the top one on and to keep them from sliding around on each other. I had them cut 1 1/2"x1 1/2" on the info that the pockets were 1 3/4" x 2", well they are not 1 3/4", more like 1 3/8", so my stakes were to big and had to beat them in.

So, pointer #2 cut your stakes to 1 1/4" and you should be good.

After flipping, 70mph was cake.

The rest of the trip went smooth, got quite a few funny looks but, what are you gonna do?

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Ok, so, now how to unflip them without a forklift. Really pretty straight forward. I used my tractor to tilt them both vertical, unstrapped them then used a block and tackle to lower one, then used the tractor to lower the other, Ta-da.

Pointer #3, tie the one you are not letting down to something, because the weight of the one you are letting down will pull the other over on top of it. I'm glad i thought of this one BEFORE trying to unflip.

Pic should explain better, any ?'s

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it. Previous experience has dictated that you can't tow them in tandem with any level of speed or safety. Congrats.

wikallen

I have wonder if the problem you had with towing two, was the lack of weight at the tongue of the first trailer, causing it to "wag" easily which of course set the rear trailer out of control.

Whatever the tongue weight is of the second trailer, I would put that same amount of weight, and maybe a bit more ahead of the axle in the first trailer.

whiskey yankee

Pointer #3, tie the one you are not letting down to something, because the weight of the one you are letting down will pull the other over on top of it. I'm glad i thought of this one BEFORE trying to unflip.
You should set it back up and do it the wrong way. Post a video on youtube; instant classic. Nice looking trailers.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Nice recovery. Are those Hummer wheels on one of the trailers?
yes they are hummer wheels and tires, they stick out a couple inches but match the track width of my truck perfect. i think the other has cucv wheels and tires. both sets of rubber were prob 99% when i picked them up:D. they also both had full rack, bow and cargo cover kits.

I'm selling the one with the cucv wheels and tires if anyones interested PM me.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I have wonder if the problem you had with towing two, was the lack of weight at the tongue of the first trailer, causing it to "wag" easily which of course set the rear trailer out of control.

Whatever the tongue weight is of the second trailer, I would put that same amount of weight, and maybe a bit more ahead of the axle in the first trailer.
maybe, but i'm not trying it again.

KsM715

Impressive.

I thought I had read on here that someone had towed them in tandem once by using ratchet straps to hold the two together and keep them from wagging. I still wouldnt do it that way and I think the cops would let you get very far if they saw you doing it.

TexAndy

I towed a couple of 101s back home (stacked) with a 1/2 ton silverado. I wouldn't recommend it, even though it was theoretically within the max towing limit of the truck.

I like the way you unstacked them with the forklift. 8)

lavarok

Any issues with the lights hitting the ground during the tilt? it is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks close.

I have two M101s I need to recover and your idea may just be the way I do it.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I towed a couple of 101s back home (stacked) with a 1/2 ton silverado. I wouldn't recommend it, even though it was theoretically within the max towing limit of the truck.

I like the way you unstacked them with the forklift. 8)

once they were stacked they towed great, didn't really even know they were back there. the surge brakes worked great, they didn't push me at all while stopping. i wouldn't think a 1/2 ton would have any problem.

Did you mean WITHOUT a forklift?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks